Cincinnati Northern remains in Jackson

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

Cincinnati Northern remains in Jackson

Unread post by jwilliam33 »

Does the former Wolverton Steel on the far south end of the Cincinnati Northern in Jackson still utilize rail? How much traffic does the Gerdau steel mill generate?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Cincinnati Northern remains in Jackson

Unread post by AARR »

Yes to Wolverton but probably only a few times per month

Gerdau hasn’t shipped by rail since they closed their steel production line
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Did the old Cincinnati Northern run through FT. Wayne Indiana?? Reason I ask is used to run to DANA Axle, in Ft.Wayne, and there was a RR that ran right next to the plant-- even had a spur to Dana, and I always wondered how far north it went.

jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

joeyuboats wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:25 pm
Did the old Cincinnati Northern run through FT. Wayne Indiana?? Reason I ask is used to run to DANA Axle, in Ft.Wayne, and there was a RR that ran right next to the plant-- even had a spur to Dana, and I always wondered how far north it went.
The Cincinnati Northern did not run through Ft Wayne. It ran south from Jackson through Van Wert, Ohio to near Cincinnati.

jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the info on the Jackson traffic. Sounds like it’s pretty thin on the branch outside of Dawn and Omnisource.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The last rail shipments from Gerdau were steel dust. When the production line closed there was no more dust to ship out. Seems like it averaged a couple cars a week.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

jwilliam33 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 10:14 pm
Thanks for the info on the Jackson traffic. Sounds like it’s pretty thin on the branch outside of Dawn and Omnisource.
Worthington is serviced several times a week. There business has picked up in the last 12 months.

I have personally seen Gerdau worked in the last year.

Symbol is B44. od mornings.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

joeyuboats wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:25 pm
joey, that line is the former GR&I

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

So, eventually it went to Mackinac City-- OK--- THANK YOU!!!

PriorrightsConrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PriorrightsConrail »

The former Cincinnati Northern line, now known as the Northern Industrial, or the trail of tears, services Worthington Steel several times per week. And contrary to everything you are seeing here, Gerdau is a very busy customer. Thet get loaded gons in of steel bars that they finish into high quality steel for the auto industry. They get about thirty cars per month. Also, the old Cashway Lumber is now Amerhart. A lumber wholesaler. They get an average of one car per week. The job that switches this line is B44, on duty M-F at 0800. Dawn gets a switch in the morning, then the rest of the work is typically done in the afternoon, including Omnisource.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

TY for the update!
PriorrightsConrail wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:56 am
And contrary to everything you are seeing here, Gerdau is a very busy customer. Thet get loaded gons in of steel bars that they finish into high quality steel for the auto industry. They get about thirty cars per month.