PM passenger service in Saginaw

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
odave
Railroadfan...fan

PM passenger service in Saginaw

Unread post by odave »

I grew up in Merrill and remember my dad telling me stories about he and my grandmother riding the PM into Saginaw - that would have been the 1920s. I've been looking at the Saginaw 1897 map at michiganrailroads.com and am trying to figure out where they would have gotten off the train from Merrill. My mom can't remember, and my dad has passed on. Would it have been at the big PM depot on Potter St, or did PM have another station on the west side too? I'm assuming that they came in from the west through Paines, and if they did go to Potter St, it seems like they would have followed a roundabout route. Any clues?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I imagine that they would have used the old Saginaw Belt to get to Potter St. The belt came off the line to Paines, were the SVRM is located, and ran along the back of the "west side" up to the line to Midland, and came in behind Delta truss, next to the VA hospital.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Thanks - that makes sense. The 1897 map doesn't show a connector to the belt line, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Probably a good excuse for me to take a trip to the SVRM :)

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Hello odave when i was younger i used to hang around the fordney diamonds, there was a wye track in the northeast quadrent, this is were the C&O west side belt crossed the penn central line to jackson, and C&O to grand rapids, the diamonds were taken out in 1981. the west side belt just lost it's last custumer when GM closed malluable iron in june of this year, in 1970 the west side belt had about 15 custumers now it is a sad sight. delta truss doesn't get cars anymore that i know of that was at the far north end of the belt.
Last edited by penn central on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

Hello, Saginaw had two PM stations that I know of, Potter st. and Court st. I don't know if this helps you or not but both stations where centered around many stores and entertainment. Like two seperate Cities Back when Saginaw was young their where two Saginaw's East and west. Saginaw most likely they would come in on the Pains track to the Court st. station. hope this helps you.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Hello Paul W the court street station was on the corner of court and bates streets in saginaw on the west side belt of PM thier is an apartment complex on that site today. thanks paul w.

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

Thanks Penn Central, I was trying to place where it was on Court st. by the river, and looking at old depot photo's. This clears up that little mystry of Saginaw for me.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

You know, the mention of a depot on Court St rings a dim and distant bell. I don't have a distinct memory of a conversation with my dad, but it sounds familiar. Thanks for the info, guys!

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Paul W wrote:Thanks Penn Central, I was trying to place where it was on Court st. by the river, and looking at old depot photo's. This clears up that little mystry of Saginaw for me.
no problem you need to know anything about saginaw just ask, i don't clame to be an expert but i will try to help.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

odave wrote:You know, the mention of a depot on Court St rings a dim and distant bell. I don't have a distinct memory of a conversation with my dad, but it sounds familiar. Thanks for the info, guys!
No problem odave glad to help.