Book Recommendations

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Grandville
Railroadfan...fan

Book Recommendations

Unread post by Grandville »

The Railroads of Holland Michigan Vol 1 The 19th Century by Donald van Reken available at many of the local libraries. This book covers the building and consolidations of the railroads radiating from Holland. As far as I know there isn't a Vol. 2. Not rail related but Veneklasen brick : a family, a company, and a unique nineteenth-century Dutch architectural movement in Michigan by Michael J. Douma is about the Zeeland brick company that is responsible for many of the colorful old brick houses that you see in the Holland/ Zeeland area. They shipped a lot of bricks out of Zeeland on the railroad. Both books are available at the Grandville and other local librarys.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Book Recommendations

Unread post by J T »

Grandville wrote:As far as I know there isn't a Vol. 2.
On the contrary, Jim! :D

The cover picture is awesome, and I wish I could have gotten a shot of that myself.

I have both books, Jim, and they are excellent. I purchased both at the bookstore in Holland that's on the corner of 8th and River.

Also available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Railroads-Holland ... 666&sr=8-2

I also have a small paperback book called "Railroads Come and Go in Allegan County" by James J. Green. I got this one at the museum (Town Hall?) at the Allegan County Fairgrounds.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

I love steam engines but that is one BUTT UGLY looking paint job. I think we can call that the Vomitbonnet instead of the BNSF 9647.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Speak for yourself, some of us like it :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I agree. I think it's pretty cool.

Tlout
WZZM's "train expert"

Unread post by Tlout »

I tracked the Chessie Steam Special as it went through Garrett, Indiana - got some pics, none really great though. Liked this train and paint scheme so much that I picked up an HO scale Reading T1 4-8-4 from Precision Craft Models painted in the Chessie Steam Special scheme. Also have the passenger car set to match (8 cars) from International Hobby Corp.
I need to get an auxillary tender and see if there are decals for it...