DT&M / D&LN /DT&I

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

DT&M / D&LN /DT&I

Unread post by chapmaja »

I was reading some information today about the railroads in Tecumseh and then was in Dundee this afternoon / evening for work.

I know the DT&M originally ran from Dundee through Tecumseh and up to Allegan and Holland.

I know eastern end of the railroad saw the D&LN use tracakge rights over DT&M from Tecumseh east. This was abandoned when the DT&I built the Malinta Cutoff.

How exactly did the DT&M end in Dundee? The maps I've seen show it simply curving down to the Ann Arbor line (the tracks CleanTech currently uses), with a line curving south of the current Dundee High School and terminating just north of M-50.

Trains running on the D&LN went as far as Delray. How did they get from the DT&M onto the tracks heading into Detroit? Did they run down the Ann Arbor to Diann, or was there an extension to the east from the Ann Arbor. Was there ever a wye in the NE quadrant at Diann if those trains utilized trackage rights over the Ann Arbor?

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Re: DT&M / D&LN /DT&I

Unread post by Manistique »

I don't know about the others but one problem I am having reading this and maybe responding is that I have no idea what railroads these are by their initials and am too lazy to go look them up. Maybe you can give us an index of railroads by full names to get me going.

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

blueheron13 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:34 pm
See the map on this site: https://www.michiganrailroads.com/stati ... -dundee-mi
Thank you.

Cross referencing this information, with a 1900 Monroe County Map I was able to determine the following.

Durban, which was where the Malinta Cutoff left the original DT&I mainline, was located basically at the corner of Stewart Rd and Sheets Rd. The DT&M line to Tecumseh ran west from this point, then looks to have turned WSW near where Plank and Bigelow Rd's meet, before making a SW turn just north of Bigelow Rd and running SW to basically where Rogers and Cevell Rd's meet, before continuing SW to cross the Ann Arbor RR. You can still see the path of the tracks in a ground color disturbance from the AA crossing to Rogers / Covell Rd intersection. This line, according to the 1900 map, then ran to about where CleanTech is, before heading wester north west to Tecumseh and points beyond.

In between Dundee Middle School and Dundee Castings you can see where the tracks used to head SE from this point. This line going SW from this point doesn't show on the 1900 map.

Looking at an 1896 map, the line from the AA crossing to Durban has not yet been constructed. The only line coming in from the east is the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, which ran from Carleton through Scofield, Maybee and then south of Dundee. It appears this line crossed the Ann Arbor at roughly behind the Clinator Mexican Restuarant on M-50.