Grand Rapids Railyards

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Grand Rapids Railyards

Unread post by chapmaja »

I know a lot has changed from the 1960's until today with regards to the railroads and rail road tracks in and around Grand Rapids.

While looking at some late 1960's maps, I noticed a couple things that I have questions about.

Along US131 there are two different railroad yards. One south of Hall St, which is the still largely intact yard used by the Grand Elk Railroad. North of Hall St there was a second smaller yard. Am I correct that the southern yard was the Pennsylvania Raillroad Yard, while the northern yard was the New York Central Yard?

In the same vacinity it appears the C&O had two small stub end "yards" between Franklin and Hall Streets.

Finally, there was "yard" for the passenger trains in and around US131. Was the original Grand Rapids Station on the property which now houses Van Andel Arena? I know there was a lot of track relocation done in the 1970's or 1980's and the blue bridge used to be a railroad bridge. You could still see the soot under the US131 bridge next to the blue bridge before US131 was redone in the late 1990's or early 2000's.

JBaxter
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Grand Rapids Railyards

Unread post by JBaxter »

chapmaja wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:33 pm
Finally, there was "yard" for the passenger trains in and around US131. Was the original Grand Rapids Station on the property which now houses Van Andel Arena? I know there was a lot of track relocation done in the 1970's or 1980's and the blue bridge used to be a railroad bridge. You could still see the soot under the US131 bridge next to the blue bridge before US131 was redone in the late 1990's or early 2000's.
Yes I believe Van Andel Arena was built on the far North side of the property based on the picture below it looks like the passenger shed started around what is now the corner of Cherry and Ionia streets. At least two of the buildings in the background are still standing and recognizable today.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Yes, PRR’s yard is what is today Grand Elk’s Hughart Yard. Immediately north and west of Hughart was New York Central’s yard, which is today occupied by 131 and the Union Station industrial complex. The NYC yard was mostly abandoned after the PC merger.

The PM yard between Franklin and Hall streets was the 9th Ave coach yard. This was the support passenger car yard for PM’s passenger operations at Grand Rapids Union Station.

GR Union Station was roughly just south of where Van Andel arena is now, where Studio Park currently is. The train shed extended south into what is now the S Curve on 131. The current Amtrak station lead pretty much follows the PM lead into Union Station.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There were also several small yards north/west of the Grand River on the “Westside”. PM’s west side yard was along the jog in the current CSX main between Lake Michigan and Bridge streets. The PRR main north out of Union Station came west across the river on the current “Blue Bridge” and crossed the PM main at the site of the current GVSU parking garage. The PRR then continued north, paralleling the PM on what is now Seward Ave up to Fuller, eventually crossing the PM again in Comstock Park.

GTW’s yard was the smallest of the 4 Class One’s in Grand Rapids, located across from the current depot at Plainfield & Leonard and the area immediately north of that. They also had the small yard that is now the Grand Rapids Eastern’s yard at Fuller.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:37 pm
There were also several small yards north/west of the Grand River on the “Westside”. PM’s west side yard was along the jog in the current CSX main between Lake Michigan and Bridge streets. The PRR main north out of Union Station came west across the river on the current “Blue Bridge” and crossed the PM main at the site of the current GVSU parking garage. The PRR then continued north, paralleling the PM on what is now Seward Ave up to Fuller, eventually crossing the PM again in Comstock Park.

GTW’s yard was the smallest of the 4 Class One’s in Grand Rapids, located across from the current depot at Plainfield & Leonard and the area immediately north of that. They also had the small yard that is now the Grand Rapids Eastern’s yard at Fuller.
A few more questions related to Grand Rapids in general and the yards in town.

Why did the GT have two yards in town so close together. Did they have one specific for servicing a specific customer and one was the general yard in Grand Rapids? Also, does the GRE ever use the tracks in the old GT yard near Plainfield and Leonard, as it appears at least one track is still connected to the mainline.

The line that ran from south of the now Grand Elk Yard up across Chicago Drive to the Godfrey area was removed when? Was this also removed as part of the realignment in Grand Rapids, or was it done at a different time?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

From what I understand, GTW’s Yard at Fuller was primarily for the PM and PRR interchange traffic. Their primary yard was at Plainfield/Leonard. I have never seen GRE use the remains of the latter yard, which in recent times has finally been severed from the main, and there are now many sections of rail removed. They also removed the second track from Coldbrook Ave when that crossing was redone.

I’m not sure when the NYC line from the south end of Hughart to the City Market was removed.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:53 am
From what I understand, GTW’s Yard at Fuller was primarily for the PM and PRR interchange traffic. Their primary yard was at Plainfield/Leonard. I have never seen GRE use the remains of the latter yard, which in recent times has finally been severed from the main, and there are now many sections of rail removed. They also removed the second track from Coldbrook Ave when that crossing was redone.

I’m not sure when the NYC line from the south end of Hughart to the City Market was removed.
Next question:

The Bond St Spur used to run under I196 where newsprint was unloaded. I remember this running along Bond St, but where did it move from the river's edge over to running along Bond St. (so much has changed in the area from 20 years ago).

Also, in regards to the "Old GTW yard". It appears the siding on the north side of the tracks was disconnected from the main on the Coldbrook end by Dec 2020. The south end of that siding however does appear to still be connected to the main, albeit in pretty scary looking shape, on the Clancy ave end as of Jan 2022.

Also, running on the Clancy Rd side of the "yard" there is a gray building which looks abandoned. Was this the old GTW yard office?

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB53dnL ... ex=20&t=8s

The 2nd half of this video from '97 was filmed on that trackage, and based on it, I think this is basically where the tracks ran.
GRE tracks.jpg

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

You are 100% correct, Dan. Your video is wonderful!

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:31 pm
Yes, PRR’s yard is what is today Grand Elk’s Hughart Yard. Immediately north and west of Hughart was New York Central’s yard, which is today occupied by 131 and the Union Station industrial complex. The NYC yard was mostly abandoned after the PC merger.

The PM yard between Franklin and Hall streets was the 9th Ave coach yard. This was the support passenger car yard for PM’s passenger operations at Grand Rapids Union Station.

GR Union Station was roughly just south of where Van Andel arena is now, where Studio Park currently is. The train shed extended south into what is now the S Curve on 131. The current Amtrak station lead pretty much follows the PM lead into Union Station.
These are screenshots from a 1975 topographical map that shows in part what SD80MAC is describing.

PPR NYC yard area.
6B70CEBE-4E2F-4074-A129-8D0F7D292870.jpeg
West side of the river.
169BCDE4-8AB2-424E-B944-D4BAA8146DDE.jpeg
West Side of the river and the Union Station area.
27E52AD8-17B9-4DA6-97DD-A380434B55DA.jpeg