Hastings

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Hastings

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Anyone have or know of any photos of Hastings when the NYC Grand Rapids to Jackson mainline was in or right before/after the removal of the trackage following the KBEC's failure? Was driving through town recently and it never dawned on me that Apple St is built on the ROW, but I assume that it was simply widened and not added following the removal of the tracks?

Also curious if any info exists on the junction before the removal of the CK&S in World War 2, or any photographs? I know this line came out early and was basically a rural branchline for most of its existence.

Mostly looking for track schematics and any customers that might've been in the area.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Hastings

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Try checking for Sanborn fire insurance maps of Hastings. I don't know what's available online, but I bet the Library of MI in Lansing has them.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

The diamond was in place long after the CK&S was abandoned. Hastings Manufacturing north of the diamond and river was served off the MC line. The CK&S depot was in the southeast corner of the parking lot of the Feldpaush grocery store and, IFIRC, was their liquor store.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Can go to Historic Aerials, hit the aerials choice on left side, type in Hastings, MI, and check the various older year maps.
Looks like Apple used to stop as it went west towards the river, but now continues west after a slight jog to the south.
https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer
Also pulled this older photo:
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-20 143021.png
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

There was still an interlocking with associated approach signals south of town. The signal was out where their small yard was across from the Bliss (?) factory. Also IIRC the interlocker had derail protection on the CK&S. Hey, back in the day Middleville even had a block signal switch connected system in the yard limits up into the 60's. And yes, Hastings Manufacturing, that burned down a couple years ago was the customer north of the river. Decent trestle into the place too.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.