Wolverine Brass Grand Rapids?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Wolverine Brass Grand Rapids?

Unread post by PatAzo »

I found this in a drawer in our print files. The back says "Core Cashing Conveyor" "Wolverine Brass Grand Rapids MI" I have not found exactly where this was.

canadasouthern.com says the car was a NYC 255-F all 40' all steel flat car built in 1910. Service life through 1955. The car is lettered having been built in 1910, "WL 7-26" and "STRD 6-1-27 P&LE". Though the internet says arch bar trucks were outlawed from interchange in the late 30's, this car rides on arch bar trucks and would have loaded on the Pere Marquette in Newaygo.
Attachments
Where Was it.jpg

cdressel
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wolverine Brass Grand Rapids?

Unread post by cdressel »

I believe Wolverine Brass Works was located at approx. 620 Monroe Ave, NW, Grand Rapdids, MI.
Chuck

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Interesting photo. Thank you for posting.

Below is a link to a Sanborn Insurance map. Wolverine Brass is located on Monroe Street across from the Grand Trunk freight house.

There appears to be a siding running down Bond Street on the east side of the factory.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4114gm.g ... 44,1.057,0

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

I had looked at photos of the building at 620 Monroe but it is very different from what is in the photo. But looking at the Sanborn map more closely there are tracks in Bond Ave and in the next block north there is a siding into the Michigan Steel Junk Yard. Across the alley is a building noted having iron sides and roof. I wonder if the car isn't spotted up by the junk yard.

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

The trackage along Bond Ave. served several industries in that area, including the Grand Rapids Press at the south end of that trackage .The Press has long since moved to the 'burbs.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

PatAzo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:24 pm
I had looked at photos of the building at 620 Monroe but it is very different from what is in the photo. But looking at the Sanborn map more closely there are tracks in Bond Ave and in the next block north there is a siding into the Michigan Steel Junk Yard. Across the alley is a building noted having iron sides and roof. I wonder if the car isn't spotted up by the junk yard.
I think your are right Pat. The crane in the background appears to be handing metal scrap with a bucket not a magnet. I think the crane is located at what the Sanborn map labels the Wolverine Brass warehouse north of the main plant.