Iowa Pacific Hoosier State Chicago Facility

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Iowa Pacific Hoosier State Chicago Facility

Unread post by TSS »

Where did Iowa Pacific service its Hoosier State trainset in Chicago? What became of the faculty when IP went bankrupt?

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Re: Iowa Pacific Hoosier State Chicago Facility

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

AFAIK, Amtrak darn near bullied them out of existence partially because it was a pain in the ass for IPH maintenance employees to enter the property in Chicago. I believe they used the tracks in the yard where they put private cars, out near the river. As for the faculty, who knows. All the IPH guys I know stayed in the industry to some capacity.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

Schteinkuh wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:01 am
AFAIK, Amtrak darn near bullied them out of existence partially because it was a pain in the ass for IPH maintenance employees to enter the property in Chicago.
They also had a fenced in storage track somewhere nearby with a pit to inspect their locomotives. I just can’t remember where it was.

Yes, I’m sure Amtrak made it a pain and enforced the letter of the law on IP equipment. But Ed Ellis’s track record of unpaid vendors, cancelled contracts, and multiple bankruptcies speaks for itself. He dreamed big beautiful dreams but never made them work in the real world.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Oh believe me I am not selling EE's accountability short by any means. It might still exist today if literally anybody else ran it
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

Schteinkuh wrote:
I believe they used the tracks in the yard where they put private cars, out near the river. As for the faculty, who knows.
When they were launching service, IP built a pit on the Chicago Terminal to do the FRA inspection of the locomotives. Ed Ellis posted some pics to Trainorders of the pit; I’m not sure where it was (Goose Island or one of the tracks kit by Bensenville).

That’s what made me think they had something in Chicago. But none of the Chicago Terminal tracks look suitable. So I’m guessing that was a one time thing for the locomotives.

Found a reference to a storage track leased from CSX between Indy and Beech Grove. That’s probably where the train lived. It probably sat in Chicago only long enough to for it’s next run and/or deadhead back to Indiana on the back of the Cardinal.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

TSS wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:29 pm
Schteinkuh wrote:
I believe they used the tracks in the yard where they put private cars, out near the river. As for the faculty, who knows.
When they were launching service, IP built a pit on the Chicago Terminal to do the FRA inspection of the locomotives. Ed Ellis posted some pics to Trainorders of the pit; I’m not sure where it was (Goose Island or one of the tracks kit by Bensenville).

That’s what made me think they had something in Chicago. But none of the Chicago Terminal tracks look suitable. So I’m guessing that was a one time thing for the locomotives.

Found a reference to a storage track leased from CSX between Indy and Beech Grove. That’s probably where the train lived. It probably sat in Chicago only long enough to for it’s next run and/or deadhead back to Indiana on the back of the Cardinal.
For some reason I remember reading it was in Bensenville...