Single or Double Track between AA & Dexter?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Single or Double Track between AA & Dexter?

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Does anyone know when they removed the second track on the Michigan Line west of Ann Arbor?

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Single or Double Track between AA & Dexter?

Unread post by Manistique »

It was early in the Amtrak era. Sorry I don't know a precise date but I do recall when they were pulling it and it was rather controversial at the time. Probably right after Conrail was formed in 1976 when Conrail started routing their Michigan trains largely via Toledo instead of across the State like before.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I reviewed the Conrail track charts on multmodalways.org. The charts show the main through Ann Arbor is double track in 1984 but single track in 1988.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

This may not answer your direct question but it’s a great resource and some people may never have seen this before. It’s a time lapse of a cab ride on the entire Michigan Line westbound in 1988. An interesting time as things were being single tracked throughout much of the route, sadly. Definitely worth a watch!

https://youtu.be/mAikJc67tO4

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Thank you. That video is great, and I had forgotten about those track charts.

I am trying to figure out a video location in this thread http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewto ... =8&t=38676

I'm pretty sure now that the pacing shot at the end is just east of the station in Ann Arbor, so was assuming that the signals at 1:10 were east of there, but I can't see anything on the track charts that includes 2 and 3 head signals in both directions on double track.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Clearly not "early in the Amtrak era". Based on the video the second main from Kalamazoo to Willow Run had been recently removed from service. The second main is in place between Kalamazoo and Albion but if you look closely the switches are already in place for single tracking. I have bulletins for the second main between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek being removed from service in 1987 or 1988.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

One of my Youtube videos recently got a comment from someone stating that there are plans in place to reinstall the double track between Lawton and Niles to bridge the couple gaps created when the second main was taken out. Is there any truth to this and when could this happen if there is?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:19 pm
One of my Youtube videos recently got a comment from someone stating that there are plans in place to reinstall the double track between Lawton and Niles to bridge the couple gaps created when the second main was taken out. Is there any truth to this and when could this happen if there is?
It is true - at least a grant application is in the works to fund it. Double track would extend from Niles east to Glenwood Road. I know I’ve seen more details about this somewhere, but this article shares some of the basics: https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/ne ... s-project/

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Not to stray too far off the main line topic here, but this article came out recently about the history of the two stone arch bridges on the MC in Dexter and I found it fascinating.

Then & Now: The Brilliant Young Engineer Behind Dexter’s Famous Stone Viaducts: https://thesuntimesnews.com/g/dexter-mi ... ne-viaduct

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:26 pm
Not to stray too far off the main line topic here, but this article came out recently about the history of the two stone arch bridges on the MC in Dexter and I found it fascinating.

Then & Now: The Brilliant Young Engineer Behind Dexter’s Famous Stone Viaducts: https://thesuntimesnews.com/g/dexter-mi ... ne-viaduct
I was just in Dexter last week and didn't see any arches. I assume they are over rivers?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Cool article. The article shows both MQT1233. One over main street which is so narrow only 1 car can pass at a time and the other very close by over Mill Creek.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:39 pm
I reviewed the Conrail track charts on multmodalways.org. The charts show the main through Ann Arbor is double track in 1984 but single track in 1988.
I think it splits those years and was 1986. I have a older friend who watched Conrail rip up the second main near Ypsilanti and "rode" on the train for a few hundred yards as they took out tracks heading westbound. I will try and confirm with him when I speak.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Fall of 1987 was when the second main was ripped up on the Michigan line. 1986 is when the remaining main became welded rail.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown