C&O Petoskey Subdivision last train 40 years ago. 1982

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
KC
Railroadfan...fan

C&O Petoskey Subdivision last train 40 years ago. 1982

Unread post by KC »

Chessie System ran its last train up the Petoskey subdivision 40 years ago this week. Looks like things didn't go as well as planned. Northbound train had eight cars, must of laid over in Petoskey and returned next day with the cars. I wonder what the other 4 cars were.

antrim county news feb 25 1982

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: C&O Petoskey Subdivision last train 40 years ago. 1982

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for posting, KC. Although Petoskey Plastics got most of the headlines Petoskey Gas received most of the rail traffic. IIRC at that time PP was getting about 1-2 carloads a week and PG about 2-3.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It's amazing how quickly most of this line has been obliterated. While some of it is a bike trail, there are other spots where you can't even tell there was ever a rail line. Obviously Grawn to Acme still exists. Did MIGN take over Grawn to Petoskey that same year, then? IIRC they only used Petoskey (Bay View) to Charlevoix, and never went south of Round Lake.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You are correct, MIGN never operated between Williamsburg and Charlevoix. TSBY tried to generate traffic to the cement plant south of Charlevoix (sand) but it didn't happen. I don't know if they ever went west of Petoskey Plastics to the nuclear plant at Big Rock Point.
SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:58 pm
Did MIGN take over Grawn to Petoskey that same year, then? IIRC they only used Petoskey (Bay View) to Charlevoix, and never went south of Round Lake.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There’s a Neil Plagens shot of a MIGN Geep at the power plant with a high/wide load. They also ran excursions to Charlevoix a few times.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/