Signals and Train Speeds

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Signals and Train Speeds

Unread post by amessmann »

Hey, I was wondering if someone could explain train speeds in regards to signal rules, for example, what "limited speed" means in the context below.

Approach Limited
Proceed, approaching next signal not exceeding Limited speed.

I've also heard "slow", "medium", etc. and would like to know definitively what those mean.
I am going off of this chart: https://signals.jovet.net/rules/CSX%20S ... 0Rules.pdf

Thank you!

Talk
Keeps Talking

Re: Signals and Train Speeds

Unread post by Talk »

CSX
Limited Speed - A Speed not exceeding 45 Miles Per Hour
Medium Speed - A Speed not exceeding 30 Miles Per Hour
Slow Speed - A Speed not exceeding 15 Miles Per Hour
Restricting Speed - "A speed that will permit stopping within one-half the range of vision. It will also permit stopping short of a train, a car, an obstruction, a stop signal, a derail, or an improperly lined switch. It must permit looking out for broken rail. It will not exceed 15 mph."
Last edited by Talk on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Each railroad has their own definition of Limited, Medium, Slow, and Restricted speeds. On CSX, Limited Speed is 45 mph. On Norfolk Southern, it’s 40 mph.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

And some railroads have a different speed for the type of train it is...;i.e., on NS, it's 40 for freight and 45 for passenger for limited speed

Jovet
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jovet »

amessmann wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:40 am
Hey, I was wondering if someone could explain train speeds in regards to signal rules, for example, what "limited speed" means in the context below.
Approach Limited
Proceed, approaching next signal not exceeding Limited speed.
I've also heard "slow", "medium", etc. and would like to know definitively what those mean.
I am going off of this chart: https://signals.jovet.net/rules/CSX%20S ... 0Rules.pdf
I do have to give a small apology. I made that chart you linked and I do NOT have the speeds listed on all the pages, like I should. Check the second page.
At some point, I'll correct that. Do keep in mind that the "standard" speeds can be overridden in specific areas by that area's timetable or general orders or whatnot.

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Unread post by amessmann »

Jovet wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:22 am
I made that chart you linked and I do NOT have the speeds listed on all the pages, like I should. Check the second page.
At some point, I'll correct that.
Thank you, I look forward to that correction. In addition, I reference those charts frequently, so many thanks for making them regardless.