Jackson, early 90s

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Jackson, early 90s

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I was curious, does anyone have any pics of the Jackson area, from the late 1980s up to the end of the Conrail era basically? More specifically, lineside details, ROW, signage, facilities, etc. Looking for reference pictures for my layout construction. Thank you
Nick

wawatam
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Jackson, early 90s

Unread post by wawatam »

I don't have any photos, but I was given a book written by Douglas N. Leffler called "Railroad Town Jackson, Michigan." It was published in 2016 and it gives a complete history of railroading in and around Jackson. Every page has photographs or maps along with descriptions. Hope this helps. Tim.

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Jackson, early 90s

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

Look up Dan Cluley on youtube.

He's got some great vids of stuff in the 90's including some conrail around Jackson (and Lansing) - most of his vids also show at least a part of the train, so if your looking for info for model RRing purposes his vids definitely help for that.

Another option that I've used with lesser success is RRpicture archives, you can search by Country/state and then drill down to Jackson- about 550 ish pics as of this moment. I'd imagine a good chunk will be more recent/post conrail as that coincided with digital camera's being more common/affordable (and better quality), so it's easier to be more prolific.

I've just kinda started down that rabbit hole on the Dan Cluley vids and am also interested in 80's and 90's conrail operations and photos in the state, especially for modeling/consist purposes.

Hope this info helps! If I think of any more I'll definitely post. I know a few of the morning sun conrail books have SOME pictures here and there, but it's a crapshoot. I can try checking when I get home next week.

You might try the conrail historical/technical society as well, and the online conrail cyclopedia. http://crcyc.railfan.net/ When I've looked on these latter two sources seeing anything Conrail in michigan is sparse, although starting with the higher #'d GP15-1's (I'd star in the high 1660 series) is a good start. Seemed like especially from 1670 on up many of those units made themselves a home here in the state, and I remember reading that 1600 till about 1650 or so were assigned out east (of cleveland/pittsburgh) with the rest being on conrail's properties in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois.
Keep on truckin........By Train!!!