Utica depot location?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

Utica depot location?

Unread post by MRC_Andrew »

Where was the MC/NYC depot located in Utica? I've seen pix of it elsewhere, but am wondering more along the lines of street name(s), nearby crossroads and such. Don't think I've ever heard those mentioned.

GTW6401
how bout no

Re: Utica depot location?

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Old maps have it on Greeley Street, which is south of M-59.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

A tattered remnant from bygone days
892259_133774310135622_1342493770_o.jpg

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

To add -

The Utica depot was off of Greeley street - right behind St Lawrence Church/school and across the tracks from what is now Shuert (the current northern most active customer on the Sterling Secondary/former Bay City Branch).

There was a model railroad club located in the depot in the 70's / (early 80's?) IIRC. I believe it was ran by someone with the last name Mead (sp?) . From what I had found out on the "other" board/RRHX, the depot burned down sometime in 82 ? It was definitely gone by early - mid 90's, but probably much sooner than that.

There's a couple photos out there for the depot, probably more, and the area was MUCH less developed at that time. While the depot was standing, M59 was still only a surface level street, not the wide boulevard/highway that we know it as today. When Lakeside mall opened in the 70's, that was the beginning of the "boom" for that part of Macomb County which saw significant expansion of suburbia around that time changing the area from a semi rural exurb which it had been.

If you're interested in Model RR's, specifically HO scale. The New York Central historical society is considering having a model produced of the type of Depot that was in Utica, a similar type of which apparently still stands near Derby/Stevensville on what was the St Joseph branch. It's between that style of depot and one of the type in West Branch, whichever winds up getting the most commitments. Link is here if you or anyone is curious - https://nycshs.org/for-the-modeler/nycs ... offerings/ I came across the link during quarantine last year while doing some research on the line/area.
Keep on truckin........By Train!!!

MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MRC_Andrew »

Thanks to all for the responses!