D&M Tawas Yard Operations

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

D&M Tawas Yard Operations

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

What trains were based out of Tawas Yard in the 70s? I'm trying to piece together operations on the Huron Sub in that timeframe, and I know this was one of the D&M's main yards.

As a sidenote, how busy was the Huron Sub in the 70s?

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Re: D&M Tawas Yard Operations

Unread post by joeyuboats »

According to an old TRAINS magazine---IIRC, the only train that was based out of Tawas City was the yard job that switched a local industry or 2, and then went to a quarry at National City. Also switched the shops if needed. The main train was the one from Alpena that passed through Tawas, could drop off or pick up cars if needed, went to Bay City, turned , and went back to Alpena. Alpena to Bay City and back was always a overnight job. Also--that Tawas yard job MAY have run to Wurtsmith AFB if/when needed.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It's my understanding that during the gypsum mining operation season a yard engine would start around 5am and work the Alabaster and National City gypsum customers up to six days a week making trips between their sites and Port Gypsum unloading shed and Tawas City Yard. It may have also ventured as far north as the AFB in Oscoda and as far south as the lime plant in Turtle.

In the 1990's the White Rock mine generated 20-30 cars a day, 6 days a week, of traffic for Port Gypsum.

When the mines were down for the winter I don't know what activity happened round Tawas City Yard. The road trains may have handled what little switching occurred.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

GTW Watcher----to get a flavor for the Tawas yard and shops, go to Railroad Picture Archives, and look for either Tawas City location, or Dad's D&M Pics.