Rogers City question

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Rogers City question

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Hope that everyone had a healthy, and safe New Year! Can anyone tell me about where the D&M entered Rogers City, and where was the station and yard, and or anything else about this area? I am aware that the branch split off the line to Cheboygan at Posen, but after that, I am clueless. Thanks in advance!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Rogers City question

Unread post by AARR »

Go to Google Satellite and follow the line from Alpena northwest to Rogers City Jct. then straight north to Calcite then straight west into Rogers City. They serviced a small factory on the west side of RC and had some dock traffic along the water front at one time too. Line was cut to Calcite when plastics plant moved in early 1980's. Line was abandoned and removed around 1999 from Calcite/Hawks to Alpena. Like I said it's pretty easy to follow the ROW from a satellite view.

The last limestone traffic from the huge pit in Calcite was around 1984. Ironically the limestone pit has (or had) it's own interplant railroad.

The last three customers on the line were two explosive plants (the one in Hawks received about 20 cars a year and the one in Calcite about 30). The plastics plant between Rogers City Jct. and Calcite received about 2-3 cars a week. Either the plastics plant decided to receive its pellets by truck (from the transload in Clare possibly) so LSRC abandoned the line or its the other way around.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

I found the plastics factory---Cadilliac Products, on US23 --- and followed the line as you said. Found Calcite, and then tried to follow the line west, and found what looks like a newer road between First and Second, that could have been the right of way through town. Found the area where the yard could have been, north of Waters Edge restaurant. The yard could not have been very big, and what street was the factory on the west side of town on, or what name? Thank you very much for the help---know it has been a long time that this has been gone, just trying to piece it together. There never was any enginehouse here either, correct??

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!!!!!!