Wabash Power Saginaw

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Wabash Power Saginaw

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

Looking at Wabash Power in Saginaw on Google Maps, I can see that the track used to serve this customer continued on for at least a couple miles it looks like. What was this spur used for and what (if any) customers did it serve?

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wabash Power Saginaw

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I checked the 1950 Sanborn maps for Saginaw. The spur extended (at that time) to Genesee street and served a number of smaller businesses mostly wholesale houses, a furniture dealer, etc. )

https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanbor ... st=gallery

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Well let me see what is now Wabash Power Equipment was built as Wickes Engineering and was a huge plant back up into the 1980s then over half the plant was tore down and it was also known as Combustion Engineering up until January of 1976 when they moved everything down south i can remember in the 1970s rail cars always spotted in there the spur extended down to C Riffel and Sons Beer Distributers

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

I remember them going into that track one night when I was working 3rd trick at Washington Ave tower in 1976 or 1977. Can't remember if they put a load in or pulled an empty. I think it was the latter. The switch to that track came off one of the yard leads right in front of the Potter St depot.