Snow Plow Season

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Snow Plow Season

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I passed through Cadillac this evening. It would appear the GLC has the old Ann Arbor plow all prepped for the upcoming winter. Seeing the plow at the ready made me think about other snow fighting equipment in Michigan. A few questions came to mind that someone on this board may be able to answer.

I recall a Jordan spreader was normally stationed at Cadillac during the MN era back into the PRR days. Does anyone know what became of this spreader?

I believe on one of the posts here, the heritage of the ex-Conrail plow at Hughart yard was identified as being NYC. Does anyone know the origin of the ex-Conrail plow I saw at the CSX Wyoming yard this summer? Is that plow still there?

Are there any other plows stationed at yards in West Michigan such as Muskegon or Ludington?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Snow Plow Season

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The one in Wyoming Yard is still there, hasn't moved in some time.

MQT has one, not sure if it's kept in Ludington of Manistee.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT has the old C&O Russel plow they bought from CSX a few years ago up in Manistee. Also if it's still there, there was an ancient wooden C&O plow up in Manistee behind the shop a few years ago.

I'm not sure on the heritage of Conrail one in Wyoming yard, but I would guess NYC as well. I've never seen it move.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I know CR 64636 (Spreader) sat at Wally World, and was sent north to Flint 2 weeks ago, and never saw word of it coming back south. It appears to have been built for Conrail, as I cannot find any other builders data showing a previous owner. Of note CR 64636 was used in GR back in 2008 on the plow extra D008.

Photo per: cnw8835

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1057523

Jon one of your photos also popped up of her:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1067374

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Not really in west MI but, Last I was up there CN kept an EX WC Plow in Trout Lake
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailMan5 wrote:Not really in west MI but, Last I was up there CN kept an EX WC Plow in Trout Lake
That will count as west Michigan for my purposes. :D

The CN (WC/SOO) yard at Gladstone usually has a collection of plows and spreaders as well.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

SD80MAC wrote:MQT has the old C&O Russel plow they bought from CSX a few years ago up in Manistee. Also if it's still there, there was an ancient wooden C&O plow up in Manistee behind the shop a few years ago.

I'm not sure on the heritage of Conrail one in Wyoming yard, but I would guess NYC as well. I've never seen it move.
I deduct a cookie. The MQT one is not a Russell. :D

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Here's a Jon Leese photo of C&O 904020MW. Isn't this the plow MQT acquired from Wyoming Yard a few years ago? Sure looks like a Russell to me! But according to this webpage where the photo is from, it's actually another Jordan product: http://www.trainweb.org/JordanSpreader/ ... oducts.htm

I don't know it's old C&O number. SP-24 was based at Wyoming in the Chessie era; maybe this is the same? The CR plow you can see from Judd in Wyoming is definitely a Russell plow, and I feel like I read somewhere the build date was postwar/late 40s. Much earlier than the C&O 914020, which is a mid-60s product.

I actually haven't seen any photos of the "new" MQT plow since it went north from GR. Does anyone have any to share on here and are a bit more recent??

The 904022 plow up in Manistee, is of Pere Marquette vintage. PMHS published an article about their plows several years back. Can't believe it lasted this long! Last I knew, it was tucked away next to the Manistee roundhouse. I'm not sure what, if anything MQT has done to it, but it's primarily of wood construction and is slowly succumbing to the elements unless anything has changed. In 2004 I took some really cool down-on angle photos of this plow....I need to dig those out and upload them someplace to share!

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

GP40M4216- Please upload those plow photos if you can find them.

Years ago when CSX was a customer of mine, I was able to inspect the plow at Manistee up close with a CSX carman. I don't recall his name. Nice old plow. I hope it finds a safe haven before it is too late.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

GP30M4216 wrote:Here's a Jon Leese photo of C&O 904020MW. Isn't this the plow MQT acquired from Wyoming Yard a few years ago? Sure looks like a Russell to me! But according to this webpage where the photo is from, it's actually another Jordan product: http://www.trainweb.org/JordanSpreader/ ... oducts.htm

I don't know it's old C&O number. SP-24 was based at Wyoming in the Chessie era; maybe this is the same? The CR plow you can see from Judd in Wyoming is definitely a Russell plow, and I feel like I read somewhere the build date was postwar/late 40s. Much earlier than the C&O 914020, which is a mid-60s product.

I actually haven't seen any photos of the "new" MQT plow since it went north from GR. Does anyone have any to share on here and are a bit more recent??

The 904022 plow up in Manistee, is of Pere Marquette vintage. PMHS published an article about their plows several years back. Can't believe it lasted this long! Last I knew, it was tucked away next to the Manistee roundhouse. I'm not sure what, if anything MQT has done to it, but it's primarily of wood construction and is slowly succumbing to the elements unless anything has changed. In 2004 I took some really cool down-on angle photos of this plow....I need to dig those out and upload them someplace to share!
Yes that's our plow (C&O 914020) and it stays at Manistee. It has been numbered MQT SP1 and last ran Feb of 2011. The wood plow is still in Manistee as well rotting away. Talks from RA are to scrap it.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Great photos MQT Trainmaster. Thank you for posting. :D

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Standard Railfan wrote:I recall a Jordan spreader was normally stationed at Cadillac during the MN era back into the PRR days. Does anyone know what became of this spreader?
Michigan Northern did have a Jordan Spreader at Cadillac. It was involved in a wreck in Traverse City as it ran off the former C&O diamond along Woodmere. Was also in a wreck near Walton Jct. I believe but I'm not sure. It was scrapped up in Petoskey.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Leaving Manistee:

Aaron grabbing his shot:

Crossing the bridge at Freesoil:

Just west of Baldwin:

Rolling through Baldwin:

Through White Cloud:

Newaygo:

M37 overpass south of Bailey:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Nice pictures JT!

Anyone got any notes or general info on what this is:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=4 ... 1&t=h&z=20
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT3001 wrote:Nice pictures JT!

Anyone got any notes or general info on what this is:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=4 ... 1&t=h&z=20
That is the Conrail Jordan Spreader that was up here for a while.

"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

MIGN-Todd wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:I recall a Jordan spreader was normally stationed at Cadillac during the MN era back into the PRR days. Does anyone know what became of this spreader?
Michigan Northern did have a Jordan Spreader at Cadillac. It was involved in a wreck in Traverse City as it ran off the former C&O diamond along Woodmere. Was also in a wreck near Walton Jct. I believe but I'm not sure. It was scrapped up in Petoskey.
You are most certainly CORRECT MIGN. The Walton Jct. incident involved IIRC MIGN/D&H 1216 (RF16 Shark). During a heavy snow they went to turn the spreader at Walton Jct, and haphazardly ran the engine forward and buried the RF-16 in a snowbank, ending it's career (not forever mind you as her and the 1205 still are alive ;) ) with MIGN after shorting out the #4 traction motor and scoring the crankshaft.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Trainwatcher or MIGN,

Do either of you know what year that "incident" at Walton Jct. occured?

Thanks,
Pat