I Hate RailPicky!

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
TrainNut85
Train Chaser

I Hate RailPicky!

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

My one photo of that CSX ES44AC #810 got rejected, due to poor lighting! I dunno why that site is even around, it should be shut down for being so picky!

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Instead of complaining about them, why don't you direct that energy toward meeting their standards. RP is a privately owned site, they can accept what they want too and reject what they want too.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

I like taking train pictures. Some come out good, some don't. Of the "good" ones, some are rp.net quality and many are "personal collection" quality. I have some pictures that I really like for one reason or another that simply aren't what rp.net looks for. I've even had pictures published in a magazine that rp.net rejected for 'high sun' or other "picky" reasons - so they're not the be-all-end-all of "quality".

I looked at it as a challenge to figure out what type of pictures they want, how to process them, etc. and in the process have learned a few things about photography and improved my overall photography skills. If you just want to put all your pictures up to share them - that's not the site to do it ("archives" or another site would be better). As a user of the site, I generally like the overall quality of what's on there, it can just be frustrating when they don't "accept" something you like.

If you really want to get stuff on there, asking for help and accepting constructive criticism can really help the process of figuring it out. There are people here or on the rp.net forums who would be happy to help.

Regards,
Michael

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

can you post what they rejected?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Can't believe it.... It was a great representation of CSXT #810.... sorry dude....

J T
Hates Supper

Re: I Hate RailPicky!

Unread post by J T »

TrainNut85 wrote:My one photo of that CSX ES44AC #810 got rejected, due to poor lighting! I dunno why that site is even around, it should be shut down for being so picky!
Can you post the link to the rejection so we can see what's wrong with it? Thanks.

Jon's and Michael's posts sum it up well. Just remember this...no one is forcing you to submit shots to RP. They have standards, and if your photo doesn't meet those standards, don't take it personally. If YOU like the shot, that's all that matters. Also, if you don't think their site should exist, then WHY are you getting so emotional about your picture being rejected? Obviously it MUST be important to you to have a picture on RP if you're getting that worked up about it.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

I'm sorry that you're having trouble. I currently have 55 photos on railpictures. I have had so many rejections it's not even funny. But railpictures has made me 1,000,000x better photographer than I was. It is because of railpictures that I am able to take semi decent photos that I can preserve for many, many years. Some day I'll look back on my photos, long long after the Alcos are gone and I'm going to say to myself, "Thank God for railpictures."

If you're having trouble with railpictures post your rejections on here. We'll help you through them.

-Jim

rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

Unread post by rsinoms »

Id assume that this was the shot rejected! Sorry but they are right! looks like high sun. Remember that shots taken fron 1000 to 1600 will be rejected for poor lighting!
IE.
High Sun

Good sun

Also maybe a upgrade in camera would help. Unfortunately some point and shoots are crappy but with a little work and knowing your way around your point and shoots you can take some good shots.

For Example...
I took that with a crappy sony cybershot on a 4 Megapixel setting!!! and it still made railpicky!

Now i have been rejected many times by them and i used to get upset like you (Just ask jim how many times i complained), But i learned so what! If they dont like your pics find someone else who will! So i started a flickr account and share them with others who enjoy them. I have been lucky enough to get 7 of my shots on there but it is only because i have improved as a photographer from their rejections! So just practice and work at it and see what you can accomplish!
You say trestle... I say Trussell!!!

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

I just don't see the point in it. Its a good pic, why is it not good enough. I'm just gonna stick with photobucket or this site in uploading my pics and posting them. I'm just wasting my time with railpicky.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

rsinoms wrote:Image

Id assume that this was the shot rejected! Sorry but they are right! looks like high sun. Remember that shots taken fron 1000 to 1600 will be rejected for poor lighting!
"High Sun" rejects on rp.net are generally a 'death sentence' for getting that image on that site. One thing they're borderline obsessed with is having great lighting on the truck sideframes, fuel tank and plow and virtually no shadows on the engine(s). That means this time of year only morning or evening shots have a chance.

They also might ding this one on "foreground clutter" or "composition" due to the distracting pole sticking into the side of the units. That looks like a pretty tough spot to work with there. The sky is also pretty 'blown out' in the image (hazy or cloudy?) so they might ding it on "cloudy" too. I kind of like the picture, but don't think it has much chance of making it on rp.net.

If you want to get a shot on there, try something like this to start:

1) Find a spot where you can get a nice angle and have the sun directly behind you (so both the front and side are well lit) for either morning or evening. Much easier if it's a mainline with regular movements at the times you'll want them.

2) Go there on a nice sunny blue-sky day and compose the shot before the train gets there. Take a test shot or two (free with digital!). Keep in mind the 'rule of thirds' for composition:

http://digital-photography-school.com/b ... of-thirds/

3) In planning the shot, don't just shoot the power and cut off the train - they like 'whole train' (i.e. as much as visible within the limits of the scenery) shots more than just the engines. Simple roster shots need to be virtually perfect to make it. Make sure there's no foreground obstructions where the engine(s) will be blocking any part of the view from rail up. Try to gain elevation if possible (stand on something - even your car or a step ladder?)

4) Take the shot. Not knowing your camera or experience I won't elaborate more here.

5) Process the shot. Hopefully you have PSE or something that you can use to crop it, resize it to their standards and sharpen it. Feel free to ask for advice at this point also.

6) Upload it and see what happens. If it's rejected, ask us for help/tips/pointers etc.

If you want to get pictures on there and are willing to put the work into it you'll eventually do it.

Regards,
Michael

My pictures:

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=25705

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

TrainNut85 wrote:I just don't see the point in it. Its a good pic, why is it not good enough.
In YOUR opinion. Sorry to be blunt, but it's not a good shot. I take shots like that, too, but I know better than to upload them to RP because they aren't up to their standards. It's their site, they call the shots and they have the right to.
I'm just gonna stick with photobucket or this site in uploading my pics and posting them. I'm just wasting my time with railpicky.
Well, that's fine. But don't be sour grapes about it because your images aren't up to the standards of the #1 train picture site on the web. Again, if it doesn't matter to you, WHY are you getting so emotional about it?

Instead of looking at it as "wasting time," why don't you look at it from the positive? Look through the database and learn what makes a good image. If you're not willing to learn to take BETTER train photographs, then that's your prerogative. But don't be a crybaby about a site that doesn't think your pictures are up to their standards if you're not willing to improve YOUR standards.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Amen to what JT said. I've gotten more shots rejected from RP.net than I can remember. So I looked at what they wanted and what I was doing. I then began to go out and experiment. I never used to think about setting up a shot or "what side of the tracks is the sun on" or "how much sun will be on the nose" or anything like that. Now I'm doing all of the above. RP.net has made me a much better photographer than I ever thought I could be. I see getting shots on their site as a fun challenge. Don't cry about it.....
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I had to come to realize that until I could get a better camera, I would likely never get shots approved on RP.net. I have 4 shots there, but the lighting was perfect and they were all up close.

Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stitch »

Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

nssd70
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70 »

Put it on Railroad Picture Archives.net

Doug