(OPINION) YouTube's CEO is stepping down...from a small channel's perspective

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

(OPINION) YouTube's CEO is stepping down...from a small channel's perspective

Unread post by David Collins »

Allow me to rant:

This has just come out, but the CEO of YouTube has announced that she is stepping down. I will be keeping a close eye on this story since the leadership of YouTube has, in the past, made some...let's just say...sketchy decisions. I'm personally hoping that whoever takes over starts putting a focus on smaller content creators (anyone below 10k subscribers and 5M views). The current management at the company is only focusing on influencers (some of whom are also running huge scams on the platform) and other massive YouTubers, and if they don't change their focus in the next 6-8 months or so to smaller creators, I will take a step back and evaluate what the path forward is for my channel. Because I don't want to be apart of a YouTube community that's being treated like we're not contributing anything to the success of a platform, but in reality, we are providing a form of entertainment that has nothing to do with politics, age, gender, race, ethnicity, etc, which is railfanning/model railroading. Like I said, I'm not deleting the channel or stopping uploads, but it's a thought I have in my head that I may need to think about sometime soon if nothing changes, or things change but they aren't for the better.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Re: (OPINION) YouTube's CEO is stepping down...from a small channel's perspective

Unread post by Chip »

As long as YouTube is owned by Google, nothing will ever change.

R Bedell
Railroadfan...fan

Re: (OPINION) YouTube's CEO is stepping down...from a small channel's perspective

Unread post by R Bedell »

As long as YouTube is owned by Google, nothing will ever change.
Unfortunately for America, that is true. Let's hope the new CEO don't make it worse.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

You Tube's focus is drawing in and maintaining viewers to maximize ad revenue. Their analytics try to predict what an individual will watch and present that material to them. They care about small content creators to the extent your content fits their model and generates revenue.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

PatAzo wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:13 am
You Tube's focus is drawing in and maintaining viewers to maximize ad revenue. Their analytics try to predict what an individual will watch and present that material to them. They care about small content creators to the extent your content fits their model and generates revenue.
Small creators catch on and grow all the time. All of the big channels started out small. Create good content people want to watch and you'll be rewarded for it.

Most of the YouTubers who complain about the "algorithm" and "Youtube doesn't care about small creators" are simply either not there yet or aren't creating stuff a lot of people want to see.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:43 am
Create good content people want to watch and you'll be rewarded for it.
That's it in a nut shell.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

PatAzo wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:56 pm
Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:43 am
Create good content people want to watch and you'll be rewarded for it.
That's it in a nut shell.
That doesn’t solve the problem by itself. A lot of great stuff gets uploaded that no one sees because the creator is not in the good graces of YouTube.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:01 pm
That doesn’t solve the problem by itself. A lot of great stuff gets uploaded that no one sees because the creator is not in the good graces of YouTube.
YouTube is driven by what people watch, plain and simple. Their algorithms are designed to get viewers to spend as much time on the platform as possible.

The only creators that get set back by the platform are those involved in controversial or edgy topics. YouTube has had to do this to protect their bottom line. But for the vast majority, YouTube is simply giving the viewer what they want, because that's what makes them the most money.

Most channels I see that end up "not in the good graces of YouTube" did it to themselves, often knowingly.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The material Google presents to you is driven by the software that is monitoring your life and trends in society, trying to predict what an individual will watch. Creators who have content that is popular among mass culture will have an edge over a creator who could have great stuff that statistically does not attract a large audience. The methodology may seem unfair but it is the heart behind what drove Google's growth and revenue.

ATTM4150
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ATTM4150 »

You can always try an alternative such as Rumble, GabTV, or odysee. Not as many content creators on them. Have a non railfan friend that had no success on Youtube, but had much success on Gabtv and Rumble.