Riding Amtrak for the first time in nearly 10 years: What should I expect?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Riding Amtrak for the first time in nearly 10 years: What should I expect?

Unread post by David Collins »

Two weeks from now, I'll be riding Amtrak from Royal Oak to Chicago for an avgeek weekend in Chicago (Yes, I'm taking a train to an aviation event :lol:). I haven't ridden the train in a VERY long time, let's just say the consist of the most recent amtrak train I rode on had an NPCU on it to put that in perspective.

What has changed since 2014? Are there any changes to the cars' interiors? Are there any changes to the cafe car and the service? I'm asking not only for myself but for YouTube since I have intentions to film the trip and review it.

Thanks guys!

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Riding Amtrak for the first time in nearly 10 years: What should I expect?

Unread post by PerRock »

At the moment it depends a bit on the train you are on. #350 (and #355) use the new Venture cars for coach. The other trains all still use Horizons & Amfleets... the same cars you would have traveled on before. They did have their seats recently refurbished.

You can view the current Midwest Cafe menu here: https://www.amtrak.com/cafe-car Although they often don't have everything in stock.
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Riding Amtrak for the first time in nearly 10 years: What should I expect?

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

All the seats have paired power outlets now. I’m not sure if they all did 10 years back. Business Class continues to be a popular and sane upgrade choice, especially leaving the usual insanity of Chicago to come back to MI. The cafe cars may only take credit/debit cards now, FYI. PerRock linked up the current menu. I haven’t been on the new Venture cars so can’t offer any suggestions on those. Let us know your consists and how your trip goes!