Petroleum Barges to Frankfort, MI (Question)

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Petroleum Barges to Frankfort, MI (Question)

Unread post by AARR »

I have a question that a few of you might be able to assist me with. A few of you have assisted me with similar questions in the past: Doktor Know, Raildude's Dad, Standard Railfan, PatZ, or anyone else.

Koch Refineries used a tank farm in Elberta, MI (across from Frankfort) to store asphalt up until 2004. They would ship up to 28 barges a year from a refinery in Indiana.

How many tons of asphalt were shipped to Elberta annually?

I have done some research and this is what I think I know but would appreciate confirmation:
- Each barge could carry 268,000 barrels of asphalt
- A barrel of asphalt = 31-55 gallons
- There are approximately 230-250 gallons of asphalt in a ton
- If my math is right it should be 1,344,467 tons per year. [268,000brls x 43gal / 240gal x 28barges]

Also, there was a dozen tanks vary in size from 30,000 to four million gallons but I do not think this is a factor in trying to determine the annually tons per year shipped.

Thank you gentlemen
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Petroleum Barges to Frankfort, MI (Question)

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I had a conversation with our BitMat salesman back in those days. Western Michigan asphalt cement, seal coat oil etc came from Frankfort. He said the barges came from Green Bay. I was assuming it was come from Whiting IN. He said no. Green Bay, some kind of agreement between BP and Koch.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Petroleum Barges to Frankfort, MI (Question)

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I remember seeing barges at the oil dock but I really have no idea what kind of volume they handled.

Sorry.