Gondola Full of Water?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Gondola Full of Water?

Unread post by AARR »

Here is a video from Jason Asselin. He posts a lot of video's of E&LS. Here's his website: https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonasselin/videos
The last gondola on this train has water splashing out of it. Could it really be full of water? Anyone have any ideas how it would have gotten that much water in it?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Gondola Full of Water?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Most gons have holes, either intentionally or unintentionally, which let the water out. I bet that car was in storage for awhile and the rain/snowmelt filled it up.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

The videographer is a bit out of the loop. I have it on good word that this is part of a new E&LS "give back to the community" program - in this instance the mobile swimming pool that visits various online villages and allows the residents to cool off on hot summer days. In the winter it will be used as part of the mobile ice fishing and ice skating program. Initial plan for diving boards was nixed as too many people were cold-cocking themselves on the floor of the car...

Man o' War

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This is one of the responses from Jason's YouTube comment section
A A
3 hours ago
My guess is the gondola was filled with water to prevent stringlining (e.g. Harpers Ferry derailment) if a locomotive connects to that end of the train, since there are fully loaded cars in that train.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:13 am
A A
3 hours ago
My guess is the gondola was filled with water to prevent stringlining (e.g. Harpers Ferry derailment) if a locomotive connects to that end of the train, since there are fully loaded cars in that train.
The comment section on that guy’s videos is full of some of the stupidest suggestions known to man.

I’m guessing the crew didn’t even know it was full of water, or if they did, there was nothing they could do about it.

There’s no way it was intentional on the part of the railroad for any reason.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you Saturnalia. Your original post is probably correct that it's from melting snow and rain. This video was taken on July 10th IIRC so that's a lot of unevaporated water left in that gondola.
Saturnalia wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:24 am
AARR wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:13 am
A A
3 hours ago
The comment section on that guy’s videos is full of some of the stupidest suggestions known to man.

I’m guessing the crew didn’t even know it was full of water, or if they did, there was nothing they could do about it.

There’s no way it was intentional on the part of the railroad for any reason.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:36 am
Thank you Saturnalia. Your original post is probably correct that it's from melting snow and rain. This video was taken on July 10th IIRC so that's a lot of unevaporated water left in that gondola.
The Upper Peninsula has also been seeing a TON of rain lately. I wouldn't be surprised if it was up in the storage lines around Mass City, with 300+ inches of snow melting to nearly full, then the rain being able to keep up with it.

The only surprising thing here is the fact that the gon is apparently water tight!

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Saturnalia wrote:

Would fit right in with some of his remarks.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Scrap yards have a tendency to tamp the scrap into the gondola to be able to load more into them which causes dirt and scrap to become lodged in the holes in the floor, gondolas full of water are far more common than people think.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Something in the car is full of water. It's wet and sloshing just at the trailing end.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Jason Asselin thinks he knows everything about railroads, when in reality his lack of knowledge is dangerous. He is not liked by the ELS.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

SD80MAC wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:50 am
He is not liked by the ELS.
The feeling is mutual. But then ELS hasn't liked railfans since their engine house was broken into.
https://youtu.be/YBY9BaLflv0

Now all you need is Millennium Force.
https://youtu.be/DpNqHkZPHhQ

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Saturnalia wrote:

Not surprising considering whose video they are replying to.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

That's just a DNR Fishery's car with a load of Brown trout. You can almost see them jumping around. :D :roll: