Michigan Severe Weather

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan Severe Weather

Unread post by GTW Dude »

Hey all, thought I might make a thread to see how everyone is doing with the current flooding we have in Michigan. i'd assume there will be no Detroit railfanning for a bit for... obvious reasons unless you like dealing with traffic on side streets like it was in the 1940's lol. anyways, hope everyone is doing alright and just checking in to see how everything's going and if anyone's out there watching trains in this more than dreary weather.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan Severe Weather

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Detroit River Tunnel (CP) is flooded.

A lot of my friends in detroit/Grosse Pointe are majorly underwater.

I’ve escaped issues so far but we now have tornado watches issued as far as Lansing as a storm comes from chicago.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Apparently there was a radar indicated tornado west of Mt Pleasant about 20+ minutes ago. Not on the ground anymore according to Reed Timmer on Facebook.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Detroit is a mess. Word is the Connor Creek pumping station failed. Not good when 6 inches of rain falls in 12 hours. I had the scanner going all night from midnight to 8am. The eastside was flooded around Jefferson and Alter Road, up to I-94 and Moross.

Southwest Detroit didn't fair much better either. Major power outages and just about every railroad underpass had flooded.

The freeways are bad because MDOT has issues maintaining their pumping stations. The Detroit News reported at least 28 stations didn't have power or had mechanical problems.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Usual flooding along and over Hines Dr. Also heard there was a track washout north of 10 Mile on LSRC / former CSX
Owosso Steve

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

And now another tornado near Olivet and Charlotte. https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=357 ... 9972968701

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

All good here downriver. Minor flooding in Dearborn along Pelham Rd north of Van Born but that's all I saw during my errands this morning

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Bringing this thread back, as a weather geek, I'd like to use this thread as coverage for any severe weather events that could be possible, sort of making it available for everyone, if there are any weather geeks on here who want to add anything, feel free.

Friday is looking very concerning, with the SPC (Storm Prediction Center) stating this alongside a 15% chance of severe weather for pretty much the entire state:

"On Day 5/Friday, a broad warm/moist sector ahead of a cold front and the prominent amplifying upper trough over the northern Plains and Upper Midwest is expected to lead to a broad severe-weather potential across the Midwest/Great Lakes vicinity southwestward toward the Ozarks and ArkLaTex region."

The part that's scary here is we don't know (right now as of 9:52 AM on Monday 5/16/22) what mode of severe weather this could be, it could either be one big QLCS line (basically another word for damaging straightline winds) or Supercells (another word for storms with BIG tornadoes). Whichever one it is, it could be a pretty serious situation.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

With due respect. You're sensationalizing the forecast more than the TV weather people.
For the average person, the day 4-8 outlook is irrelevant to their lives.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

For a weather geek you’re putting a lot of stock in a forecast for a day that's still 5 days away. So much can change between now and then, it's nearly mathematically impossible to be certain about it.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Chip wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:06 am
For a weather geek you’re putting a lot of stock in a forecast for a day that's still 5 days away. So much can change between now and then, it's nearly mathematically impossible to be certain about it.
The national weather forecast updates the forecast every 4 to 6 hours this is why I called weather forecasting weather guesstimating.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

GR H & C wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:50 pm
Chip wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:06 am
The national weather forecast updates the forecast every 4 to 6 hours this is why I called weather forecasting weather guesstimating.
That's really all it is. I know someone who works for NWS down in Cincinnati and yeah it's mostly an understanding of patterns and probability. I was a meteorology major my first semester at CMU so I had a slight taste of it as well.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

A microburst hit Benton Township, and the good news is, the Weeping Willow that was in this area of trees that were knocked down on 6/26/20 seems to have survived.
DSC_0731.JPG
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

A "large and destructive tornado" has just ripped through Gaylord, Judging by the radar loops with the hook echo, that probably did some damage...

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

David Collins wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:23 pm
A "large and destructive tornado" has just ripped through Gaylord, Judging by the radar loops with the hook echo, that probably did some damage...
No probably about it. There were a lot of businesses damaged in Gaylord this afternoon, and vehicles flipped over. The Michigan State Police are asking people to avoid the area.
https://www.fox17online.com/news/local- ... gs-damaged
Jeff O.

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Jochs wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:47 pm
No probably about it. There were a lot of businesses damaged in Gaylord this afternoon, and vehicles flipped over. The Michigan State Police are asking people to avoid the area.
I immediately recognized that places that took direct hits, the culvers (no jokes please...), The Mobil Gas Station, Movie Theater, etc. I've driven through this town more times than I can count and it hurts my heart, that's for sure. This storm popped up right around East Jordan (where my cottage is) which produced 70+ Mph wind gusts around the area, some damage was done to the wooded area behind my cottage there but everything regarding the building was fine.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

David Collins wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:59 pm
Jochs wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:47 pm
I immediately recognized that places that took direct hits, the culvers (no jokes please...), The Mobil Gas Station, Movie Theater, etc. I've driven through this town more times than I can count and it hurts my heart, that's for sure. This storm popped up right around East Jordan (where my cottage is) which produced 70+ Mph wind gusts around the area, some damage was done to the wooded area behind my cottage there but everything regarding the building was fine.
I've been to Gaylord many times. This is along M-32 where all of the gas stations, stores, restaurants, etc. are. I also heard a mobile home manufacturer as well as a mobile home park were hit.
Jeff O.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

I somehow guessed this right, The Gaylord, Michigan tornado was rated as a low-grade EF3 with winds of 140 mph. Two people were killed and 44 were injured.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Remember the read more, think more, post less?
Think about it, usually taking credit when you're right is a good thing.
Except when people die or get injured, then it's best to just let it go.