Railroad document collectors

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
tsby_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Railroad document collectors

Unread post by tsby_fan »

Are there any railroad document collectors on here? By that, I mean train schedules, rule books, pamphlets, actual rr worksheets, etc.? I came across a bunch of different Penn Central, Michigan Central, New York Central stuff, in anyone is interested. Click on the link to see the list. Thanks.
Al
http://stores.ebay.com/Al-Macs-Deals/Mo ... 34.c0.m322

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Railroad document collectors

Unread post by Y@ »

I have a whole buttload of Bessemer and Lake Erie RR paperwork from the late 70's and early 80's.
Bottom text.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I've got a few employee timetables and track charts.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I've got a Chesapeake and Ohio, Stations, Junctions and Connections book, issued by the accounting dept.
I also have a High Horsepower Locomotive Operating Manual. [GP30 :lol: ]
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I've got close to 30 locomotive operators manuals, some old timetables and a bunch of misc. paperwork that I've accumulated over the years.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Keeping more on the digital side, I've started a collection of Amtrak PDF files online of various things.
One can see all that I have here: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bwosz ... lhQkk/edit

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Over the years I've collected lots of paper stuff. Got into it mostly because it used to be relatively cheap compared to hardware. Most stuff is 1950's and newer, again since it was cheaper. I've got about 400 employee timetables, over 2300 public timetables, over 300 different locomotive operating manuals (includes multiple issue dates of the same manual), almost 1100 Michigan RR passes and over 2000 non-Michigan passes (the non-MI passes are for sale if you're interested). This may seem like a lot, but I know there are those out there with way more stuff than this. And older stuff too.
I wouldn't know any of this as specifically except a number of years ago I started keeping very good track of what was in my collections. I found I couldn't remember it all any more and would sometimes buy an item I already had. To stop that I, started documenting what I had by RR and date, serial number, when I acquired it, what I paid, condition, and then scanning or photographing it for my records and insurance man. I just keep it in Excel, and it is really quick and easy to verify whether I already have something and what I should pay for new items similar to something already in my collection.
If you're getting started in any collecting hobby, I'd recommend starting this kind of documentation early. Once you have a couple hundred of something it becomes daunting. A couple dozen things to get started on is a lot easier.
RR Pass Collector

tsby_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tsby_fan »

I know what you mean about not remembering everything you have in your collections; in an O/T hobby of mine (scale model cars) I had in excess of 2000 unbuilt kits at one point, with no idea of what I exactly had. It took a bit, but I've pared it down to close to 500 kits now, but it's still hard to remember them all! A spreadsheet definitely helps.
Al

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I've been working on a collection of time tables and misc paperwork from railroads I like or ones that owned the different railroads I"ve worked on. So far that includes the GTW, NYC, MC, C&O, ELS, CNW, and LS&I. I've also got some older ATSF stuff that was in with the NYC stuff my grandfather had left.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

tsby_fan wrote:I know what you mean about not remembering everything you have in your collections; in an O/T hobby of mine (scale model cars) I had in excess of 2000 unbuilt kits at one point, with no idea of what I exactly had. It took a bit, but I've pared it down to close to 500 kits now, but it's still hard to remember them all! A spreadsheet definitely helps.
Al
What?!? Pare down my collection......I hear the echo of my wife!
For me this train collecting thing is a one way street. The collection just keeps growing. I have, over the last few years, limited my collecting to just Michigan related stuff - which helps. It's still daunting to think how much stuff is out there though.
If you wanted every NYC timetable issued, well, 4-6 per year for 50+ years and the numbers add up fast. Oh, you want the Pere Marquette too, and GT, and Michigan Central, and employee timetables. Before you know it, you've got a garage full of stuff.
Document early and often before it gets out of hand. It makes it easier too if you're doing research and you may want a particular issue date of a timetable for example. It's easy to look in the spreadsheet first rather than digging through boxes of timetables.
RR Pass Collector

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I have a small collection. Besides some of my Grandfather's NYC/PC/CR information (timetables, work logs, paperwork etc), I also have Santa Fe Division Timetables from CHI to San Bernadino, as well as some other PC passenger timetables, a complete set of GTW Fright Billing pamphlets which also includes the PH&D, an Alco S2/4 Operators Manual, and a few odds and ends. If anyone has a GP15-1 operators or maintenance manual I'd be really interested.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

When we are gone, our kids are going to haul a dumpster up next to the house, and fill it up. "What is all this crap"? :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

I try not to think about what I have between slides, manuals, documents, timetables, horns, etc..

lightning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lightning »

Are we having a "book burning" party? Or are we sending it to New York so they can use them to keep warm?!?!

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

I've got some timetables, track charts and maps. I've got a CSX schedule book from the 80s too.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

How interested James?!? :mrgreen: :twisted: ..... ehehehehehee
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.