Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by DaveO »

And the name of a C̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶ ̶P̶o̶i̶n̶t̶ station there

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

Believe Nolan is CN's timetable name for the location of switch from single to double track. Originally, I believe the switch was a little farther north and the location was then known as Double Track Switch. Back then it was a spring switch. Aren't the yard tracks there known as Nolan Yard--or were in the past?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Double track switch, now Nolan, is south of 8 Mile. I don't believe the yard area north of 8 Mile was named Nolan.
I couldn't find a name for it in material I have.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where be it? Two raillines crossed at this location.
Attachments
wherebeit125.jpg
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:11 am
Where be it? Two raillines crossed at this location.
One of them is the interurban ROW, correct?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

J T wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 am
That is correct, one of the two lines is interurban.
Webmaster

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

DaveO wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:05 am
Double track switch, now Nolan, is south of 8 Mile. I don't believe the yard area north of 8 Mile was named Nolan.
In that photo above, the shot is looking east. Its east of Hoover Road and north of Eight Mile Road in Warren. Also Double Track Swith south of Eight Mile Road is now CP Nolan on the CN's Mt. Clemens Sub.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

~Z~ wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:41 am
J T wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 am
That is correct, one of the two lines is interurban.
It is somewhere here in MI. Southeast Michigan?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:16 pm
Mine are always in MI unless I state otherwise, which is what we're supposed to do.
Not in Southeast MI, no.
Webmaster

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

railrod1949 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:16 pm

One clue is the bike, which is Z's. He lives in Byron Center along the Grand Elk line, so I'm guessing it's in riding distance of his house. The old interurban ROW in his photo runs on a pretty straight line between GR and Kzoo,assuming that is the interurban line in question.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

While most of that is correct JT, the interurban line in the pic does not run between GR and Kalamazoo - the freight railroad does. Interurban runs more east/west.
Webmaster

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 pm
While most of that is correct JT, the interurban line in the pic does not run between GR and Kalamazoo - the freight railroad does. Interurban runs more east/west.
Yeah, I just realized that as the only possibility would be Monteith Junction south of Martin and the landscape there doesn't fit this.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

DaveO wrote:
The GTW yard north of 8 Mile was called Gillen Yard. 8 Mile was simply a demarcation line between Nolan and Gillen yards, as a number of tracks ran across from one yard to the other. Today, the lumber distribution siding north of Outer Drive is what remains of Nolan yard, and the Polyterm entrance and storage tracks are what remain of Gillen. And yes, C&O Dispatcher is correct - two main tracks began considerably north of where today's Nolan switch is located - and was called Double Track Switch (spring). The double track was governed by Automatic Block Signals from Nolan to Forest Lawn.

Man o' War

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Man o' War wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 pm
DaveO wrote:
The GTW yard north of 8 Mile was called Gillen Yard. 8 Mile was simply a demarcation line between Nolan and Gillen yards, as a number of tracks ran across from one yard to the other. Today, the lumber distribution siding north of Outer Drive is what remains of Nolan yard, and the Polyterm entrance and storage tracks are what remain of Gillen. And yes, C&O Dispatcher is correct - two main tracks began considerably north of where today's Nolan switch is located - and was called Double Track Switch (spring). The double track was governed by Automatic Block Signals from Nolan to Forest Lawn.

Man o' War
In my childhood (early-mid 70's), I spent a lot of time around Nolan Yard, less around Gillen. Gillen had quite a web of industrial sidings, some of which crossed each other. The RBB circus train parked there some years, and there was a Team Track just north of 8 Mile. In fall, 1-2 Pacific Fruit Express reefers would be parked there and wine grapes were sold right off the cars - not surprising considering the area had a lot of wine-making residents of Italian background.

The double track started at 9 Mile Rd. Northbound trains almost always used the east track and southbounds used the west track, as you might expect, though more than once I saw a southbound on the east track that wasn't a local.
Owosso Steve

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

SW wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:44 pm
Man o' War wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 pm
DaveO wrote:

Man o' War
In my childhood (early-mid 70's), I spent a lot of time around Nolan Yard, less around Gillen. Gillen had quite a web of industrial sidings, some of which crossed each other. The RBB circus train parked there some years, and there was a Team Track just north of 8 Mile. In fall, 1-2 Pacific Fruit Express reefers would be parked there and wine grapes were sold right off the cars - not surprising considering the area had a lot of wine-making residents of Italian background.

The double track started at 9 Mile Rd. Northbound trains almost always used the east track and southbounds used the west track, as you might expect, though more than once I saw a southbound on the east track that wasn't a local.
Yes, even though activity was waning by the early 1970's, both Gillen and Nolan still had much interesting business remaining.
With regard to the Double Track Switch, it was actually located at MTC MP 11.53, or about half way between Stephens Road and 9 Mile - as opposed to today's "CN Nolan" at MP 10. Used to be fun to park at Stephens and watch westbounds cycle through the ABS signals. I think one of the main reasons the switch for double track was moved south, was to avoid having to build a two-main track crossing at 8 Mile - thus avoiding a huge expense.

Man o' War

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

J T wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:01 pm
~Z~ wrote:
Yeah, I just realized that as the only possibility would be Monteith Junction south of Martin and the landscape there doesn't fit this.
Aha! Now I know where it is. Responding to your private message so others have a chance to guess.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

~Z~ wrote:
That leaves the NYC (Kalamazoo-Grand Rapids) and Michigan United (Battle Creek-Allegan) crossing near Allegan.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

PatAzo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:12 am
~Z~ wrote:
That leaves the NYC (Kalamazoo-Grand Rapids) and Michigan United (Battle Creek-Allegan) crossing near Allegan.
Not Allegan - it's actually in the Grand Rapids area. JT messaged me and is now aware where it's at. Any other takers of where this NYC and interurban line crossed?
Webmaster

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is it possibly on the old Muskegon Branch ROW (GR&I)?
~Z~ wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 am
PatAzo wrote:
~Z~ wrote:
Not Allegan - it's actually in the Grand Rapids area. JT messaged me and is now aware where it's at. Any other takers of where this NYC and interurban line crossed?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

~Z~ wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 am
PatAzo wrote:
~Z~ wrote:
The Grand Rapids Holland and Lake Michigan Rapid crossing the NYC. I'm not familiar enough to know exactly where.