Air Force 1 in Detroit

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Air Force 1 in Detroit

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Norm wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:saw Air Force 1 landing at Metro today. i was on the golf course off of 94 at a meet and looked over my shoulder to see the plane flying in. it was really cool to see, and i heard that Obama is speaking in Detroit. shortly after the plane landed Marine 1 headed east toward Detroit.
I surely hope the Obama reelection fund is paying the costs for the use of Air Force One. The last I read it costs $186,000 dollars per flight hour. I'm sure that includes the costs of flight crew, fuel, maintenance catering and many other things.

I would hate to think these costs are incurred by taxpayers unless the plane was on official business.

Not intended to be political; just an observation of information gleaned from various aviation forums. 747's are expensive to operate.
I do believe that the Pres must pay at least some of the cost when he isn't on "official business", but most of his "speechs" do count as official business, even if they are campaigning.

I should make it clear that I DON'T support ANY officials running for public office using US assets to camgeign WITHOUT paying at least a sizeable portion of the bill.

Also of note, those planes are 1970s, and no doubt kept in good condition, but are quickly reaching the end of their useful life in the next decade or two...those older models are far less fuel-efficient than the new 747-8s that will be coming out soon.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

MQT3001 wrote: Also of note, those planes are 1970s, and no doubt kept in good condition, but are quickly reaching the end of their useful life in the next decade or two...those older models are far less fuel-efficient than the new 747-8s that will be coming out soon.
Both 747 aircraft that can act as Air Force One were delivered new to the US government in 1990.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Typhoon wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: Also of note, those planes are 1970s, and no doubt kept in good condition, but are quickly reaching the end of their useful life in the next decade or two...those older models are far less fuel-efficient than the new 747-8s that will be coming out soon.
Both 747 aircraft that can act as Air Force One were delivered new to the US government in 1990.
I better mark that source as unreliable...that's what I get for not double checking. :oops:
Do you know what model those are? 747-200? -400? ect?

And either way, they are getting pretty old for aircraft...done 22 years now. But, I suppose with all that TLC they get (Hanger, maintenance going on nearly all the time, few flying hours, hand-waxed before every flight, ect) they will do us another 20 years.

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

Air Force one is the call sign for any aircraft that is currently carrying the president. Whether it be a fighter jet or one of two 747's, it will be called "Air Force One" as long as the president is in it.

Both of the 747's are 747-200B's. As Typhoon said, they were delivered in 1990 while George H. W. Bush was in office. They were then heavily modified.
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Norm wrote:I surely hope the Obama reelection fund is paying the costs for the use of Air Force One. The last I read it costs $186,000 dollars per flight hour. I'm sure that includes the costs of flight crew, fuel, maintenance catering and many other things.
Of course he does because he is one of us, the 99% :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Michigan Railfan wrote:Air Force one is the call sign for any aircraft that is currently carrying the president. Whether it be a fighter jet or one of two 747's, it will be called "Air Force One" as long as the president is in it.

Both of the 747's are 747-200B's. As Typhoon said, they were delivered in 1990 while George H. W. Bush was in office. They were then heavily modified.
So we can assume they were ordered under Clinton.

747-200s are going to be basically the worst 747s going by fuel milage because of their early date.
Remember that only airplanes can be called Air Force One. Helicopters for instance are Marine One :wink:

Again, sorry for the wrong date

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

MQT3001 wrote:
Michigan Railfan wrote:Air Force one is the call sign for any aircraft that is currently carrying the president. Whether it be a fighter jet or one of two 747's, it will be called "Air Force One" as long as the president is in it.

747-200s are going to be basically the worst 747s going by fuel milage because of their early date.
Remember that only airplanes can be called Air Force One. Helicopters for instance are Marine One :wink:

No, wrong Bush. They were ordered by Reagan. While newer aircraft would have better fuel burn than the current aircraft, I would bet a brand new 747-8 would be around 300 million dollars in Air Force One form. 300 million buys a lot of jet a.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Typhoon wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

No, wrong Bush. They were ordered by Reagan. While newer aircraft would have better fuel burn than the current aircraft, I would bet a brand new 747-8 would be around 300 million dollars in Air Force One form. 300 million buys a lot of jet a.
Right you are, but not as much as it used too :shock: :roll:

I guess we need to only stop about 300 more-GSA-style parties to be able to buy a new one :wink:

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

MQT3001 wrote:

Well they could not be ordered by Clinton , they were delivered in 1990 and Clinton came into office in 1993. AS for being fuel efficient, I doubt if efficiency has top priority to the secret service. Also the maintainance is so thorough that the engines are replaced with new ones on a regular schedule. Knowing what the secret service wants for performance , I think it is accurate to say that these engines are not your standard catalog variety but have performance ability that remains classified.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

hobojim wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

Well they could not be ordered by Clinton , they were delivered in 1990 and Clinton came into office in 1993. AS for being fuel efficient, I doubt if efficiency has top priority to the secret service. Also the maintainance is so thorough that the engines are replaced with new ones on a regular schedule. Knowing what the secret service wants for performance , I think it is accurate to say that these engines are not your standard catalog variety but have performance ability that remains classified.
Opps...now I'm messing up my presidents...I was obviously thinking of bush the younger....wrong decade :wink:

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

LOL, it gets as you get older :)

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

An information article on the White House website is dedicated to the history of Air Force One. It says that all presidents until Kennedy used prop planes. In 1962, Kennedy was the first president to order and use a jet aircraft, a 707. Both 747-200B's were delivered in 1990 during the administration of George H. W. Bush.

A few other interesting facts are that Air Force One is capable of refueling mid-flight, and that several cargo planes usually fly ahead of the aircraft to carry supplies for use of everyone on board in remote locations. The onboard electronics are hardened to protect against electromagnetic pulses, and the two galleys on board can serve 100 people at a time!

The article: http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/air-force-one
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: Opps...now I'm messing up my presidents...I was obviously thinking of bush the younger....wrong decade :wink:
Tougher to insert your foot into a closed mouth...

Practice Safe CSX

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Seeing MQT spout completely bogus info makes me smile.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

MagnumForce wrote:Seeing MQT spout completely bogus info makes me smile.
That is why us older farts are here, to make sure he knows the difference between an F-7 and a GP-30 from a AR-15. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Shouldn't this be titled " Air FARCE One ". Some friends of ours had tickets to the Titanic exhibit at the Henry Ford. And because some idiot that was on that plant was in town , they were told to leave without seeing the entire exhibit and without a refund or apology !

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

M.D.Bentley wrote:Shouldn't this be titled " Air FARCE One ". Some friends of ours had tickets to the Titanic exhibit at the Henry Ford. And because some idiot that was on that plant was in town , they were told to leave without seeing the entire exhibit and without a refund or apology !
Ted Nugent was in town and secret service was taking no chances :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

M.D.Bentley wrote:Shouldn't this be titled " Air FARCE One ". Some friends of ours had tickets to the Titanic exhibit at the Henry Ford. And because some idiot that was on that plant was in town , they were told to leave without seeing the entire exhibit and without a refund or apology !
Yep, the secret service in action. Funny thing is that they act this way regardless of which party the president is from.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

haha...saw on the news that "Air Force Two", the Vice President's plane (looks like a 737 or similar), hit birds in California, and was grounded. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's aircraft also hit birds in Europe Last week, and a Delta Airlines flight hit birds yesterday and was forced to land at JFK...

They are EVERYWHERE planes are apparently... :roll:

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:haha...saw on the news that "Air Force Two", the Vice President's plane (looks like a 737 or similar), hit birds in California, and was grounded. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's aircraft also hit birds in Europe Last week, and a Delta Airlines flight hit birds yesterday and was forced to land at JFK...

They are EVERYWHERE planes are apparently... :roll:
You mean birds fly? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side