Do's and Dont's of Railroading

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Do's and Dont's of Railroading

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

This is an article I was sent but I edited it to remove the expletives and make it viewable by everyone. I thought it was worth sending after a clean-up and edit..

Let's start with some DON'Ts.

1) A train is really, really big. Can we all accept that? Not even your Ram 2500 / F350 / Hummer / C3500 is a match for a locomotive. You say you have a Cummins diesel? DuraMax? Power Stroke? Oooooooh!, WOW! Well I have an EMD 567 on a bad day, and even with its pathetic eighteen-hundred horsepower it will pound you and your gleaming pickup into the fourth dimension, so please, STAY BEHIND THE WHITE LINE! And don't even try to run around the gates...

2) I hate blocking crossings. Seriously, I feel like a complete pain when I stop a train in the middle of the road and leave two dozen motorists to ponder their lattes and ask what the hell I'm doing. The truth is, sometimes it has to be done, so don't honk at me, flip me off, or scream at me from the window of your Dodge Caravan as you're shooting a U-ie. Instead, be patient and try to believe that there's a point to what I'm doing. It's called switching, and my conductor is depending on me to work slowly and not run his butt over..

3) Don't climb on the equipment. I hate to sound like your mother, but you're saving me a lot of paperwork and horrifying flashbacks by staying off the equipment. To you it might look like an abandoned train or a free ride, but when that SOB starts to move with you on it, there's a darn good chance you won't be able to hold on. As long as you're on Wikipedia, punch in "slack action" and see what comes up. Also, the romance of riding freight trains is total BS. They're really dark, really cold, really windy, and hobos are really SCARY.

4) Don't put crap on the tracks. It's dangerous to me and my conductor, and it's ten times more dangerous for you and everyone else on the ground. If you're wondering "can a train go over a rock?" the answer is YES. There's only one problem. You probably haven't wondered where the million shards of rock are going to go at four times the speed of sound, have you?

5) Stop whining about the horn. Countless accidents have been avoided because drivers missed the flashing lights but heard the horn. You'd have to blast Miley Cyrus and Lil' Bow Wow really,really, loud to drown out a five-chime, and often that's the only thing that saves people. Still, that's no reason to keep your stereo at 120 decibels as you're rolling through a crossing at sixty without looking both ways.

6) By and large, railroad cops are major pains, so when you're trespassing on railroad property, keep your head out of your butt. These guys didn't make it into the real police force, and they will ream your sorry butt inside and out to make up for it. Also, walking on bridges and in tunnels is extremely dangerous. Ask yourself: If a train comes, where will I go? Trains are much wider than the rails they run on, so don’t be fooled.

Now for some of the DO'S.

1) If you see a large object (like a garbage can or an F350) that's about to get love-tapped by a hotshot freight train, get in the clear. If the wreckage is about to fly at a railroad crossing, run to the side of the street that the train is coming from. That way you'll be behind the point of impact and you won't have to worry about catching that beautiful pickup and its over-confident driver square on your shoulders. If you run away from the train you're just putting yourself in the line of fire, and the death toll could very possibly be increased by 1.

2) If the gates stay down and the lights stay flashing, stay where you are. I can almost guarantee there's another train coming, and speeding onto the tracks the moment the first train clears is a lot like celebrating a touchdown too early. WHAM.

3) When you're waiting for a train to pass, it's a good idea to stay back thirty or forty feet. Trains are operated by professionals, but often they're loaded by total clowns. I've heard some real nasty stories about payloads falling off flatcars and crushing people in their vehicles, or doors sliding off boxcars and ripping through everything in their path. It's rare, but it happens!

4) Always report problems or suspicious activity. If you see a photographer with a radio scanner and a big notebook, ignore him. We know that guy. But if there's a dude in street clothes working a crowbar through a signal box, hit us up and tell us what the deal is. Railroad crossings usually have signs with emergency numbers, or you can call the non-emergency number for your local fuzz. If an accident has already occurred or a life is at risk, call 911 instead. Pretty sure they have our number too.

5) Last but not least, when you're inconvenienced by a train, remember that we're pulling for you! Trains are a great way to conserve fuel, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and keep American jobs alive and green. Rail technology is the best solution to our energy crisis, and as the rail network grows in the years to come, it's important for everyone to stay safe. Stop, Look ,Listen, & LIVE ! ! !
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Do's and Dont's of Railroading

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

AMEN !

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

This is from Craigslist in Albany, NY.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

conrailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailfan »

we need to tell that one about the horn to ppl in waterville. :D

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I love it, TM. Thanks for posting.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

That is the BEST. Good find!
Mark it Zero.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Read this on Tops' Facebook page. So very true!
Bottom text.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

5) Stop whining about the horn. Countless accidents have been avoided because drivers missed the flashing lights but heard the horn. You'd have to blast Miley Cyrus and Lil' Bow Wow really,really, loud to drown out a five-chime, and often that's the only thing that saves people. Still, that's no reason to keep your stereo at 120 decibels as you're rolling through a crossing at sixty without looking both ways.
The guy who wrote this obviously hasn't kept up with current music. Bow Wow is passe, so I'm guessing he actually meant to say Lil Wayne.

:D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

Awesome article.

I have no idea who those people are though, but then again I don't listen to crap.
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Cities that have "quiet zones" in effect should read this. They should really realize that the horn is the loudest thing you can warn a motorist of a oncoming train. Horns save lives!

Thanks for posting.

tazer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tazer »

This kid on Battle Creek will live to remember that he wasn't paying attention.

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/arti ... n-hospital

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

It's been noted that this is from Cracks--err Craigs list posted under Albany NY.....it was emailed to me by a friend and I did not know anything other than he sent it to me (figured i better say that incase there are any notions of it being a copy cat :oops: )..but I am happy you guys found it to be a good read :lol:
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield