A new website banner?

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

A new website banner?

Unread post by David Collins »

Disclaimer: There is nothing wrong with the current banner, This is just an idea that popped in my head, admin gets final say as always.

Every time a user clicks on the site, They see the classic banner, the CSX AC44CW, The railroadfan.com crossbuck, the Conrail C40-8W and the NS Dash 9. Personally, as a content creator on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok, I've always had the mentality that you gotta stay up to date with modern trends, for a railfan, that would be like going after heritage units, drone photos, new video techniques, etc.

My question is if we could keep the same format (three images with the railroadfan.com crossbuck between the first and second images), but change them to something more modern? From a content creator's perspective, it would attract more subscribers/followers seeing that I would be keeping up with current things in railfanning BEFORE even looking at the videos/photos I would post on my socials (whether it'd be YouTube, Instagram or tiktok), Sort of like making a good first impression. Yet again, just an idea that popped in my head. If it doesn't work out, It's not the end of the world.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: A new website banner?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

A professional graphic artist made up the banner for the site incorporating the crossbuck photo I doctored with Microsoft Paint from the early early days of this site. I wouldn't exactly be opposed to someone creating another banner in the same dimensions that still use that crossbuck though, using photos of mine so I don't need to deal with copyright issues. Whether we'll use it, that'll depend on the quality.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

~Z~ wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:43 pm
A professional graphic artist made up the banner for the site incorporating the crossbuck photo I doctored with Microsoft Paint from the early early days of this site. I wouldn't exactly be opposed to someone creating another banner in the same dimensions that still use that crossbuck though, using photos of mine so I don't need to deal with copyright issues. Whether we'll use it, that'll depend on the quality.
Is there any chance you can attach a photo of the crossbuck sign? and what are the dimensions the banner has to be in order to fit between the two gray bars?
Last edited by David Collins on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

I think the banner looks fine as it is. I think the crossbuck could use some work but other than that I don't have much to say.

David Collins wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:46 pm
~Z~ wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:43 pm
Is there any chance you can attach a photo of the crossbuck sign? and what are the dimensions the banner has to be in order to fit between the two gray bars?
Image appears to be 725 pixels wide, 78 pixels tall.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Sure the crossbuck was a simple Paint affair, but it goes back 20 years at this point, so it should be retained in its present form!!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I’m pretty sure that CW40-8 counts are a heritage unit at this point! 😂

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:44 pm
Every time a user clicks on the site, They see the classic banner, the CSX AC44CW, The railroadfan.com crossbuck, the Conrail C40-8W and the NS Dash 9. Personally, as a content creator on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok, I've always had the mentality that you gotta stay up to date with modern trends, for a railfan, that would be like going after heritage units, drone photos, new video techniques, etc.
Personally, I think your mentality is wrong.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

i vote to keep it the same

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:01 am
Sure the crossbuck was a simple Paint affair, but it goes back 20 years at this point, so it should be retained in its present form!!
Restore the Railroadfan.com crossbuck and run it around Horseshoe Curve.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

"The superior man understands thou shall not change the RailroadFan.com website banner."
- Confucius (probably)