Super Long Threads

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Super Long Threads

Unread post by ~Z~ »

A small change that shouldn't really affect anyone negatively, but will make another large group happy: I've moved the three really long threads on this site to a new area called Super Long Threads: http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=30
I've only added a small number of people that enjoy participating on those threads to that group, so everyone else won't be able to see those threads at all.

If you would like to add or remove this group from your subscriptions, please do so at this link: http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/ucp.php?i=167
Select the group you want to join, make sure "Join selected" is displayed, and hit submit, then confirm. You'll now be able to see that forum. If you'd like to be removed, select that group, select "Resign selected" and hit submit, then confirm. Any new threads that become very long and off the railroading subject will probably end up here.

I have been receiving a lot of feedback from those who were tired of this: "Oh look, there's a new post in the off subject area, I wonder if it's something cool"...they click on off subject, and see it's a word posted to the add a word game. Then they'll click "mark all threads as read."
Log in again later that day, same scenario, over and over. Some said they just ignore the whole "off subject chit chat" area because of this.
Since there isn't a modification available to the board to just let each user ignore a thread based on their choice, this is the only good way I found to hide it from most, and let those who want to keep posting on those threads to go ahead and do so. I've added just about everyone who has posted in the last month on the Corrupt a Wish, You just have to post 1 word, and Random Thoughts to this membership group. Any questions, please reply to this thread.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Re: Super Long Threads

Unread post by SW »

Nice compromise, Zack! Thanks again for all your hard work in maintaining this board -- and trying to keep everyone happy!

Now maybe we can get the P.R.E. thread back for Don... :twisted:
Owosso Steve

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

thanks...appreciated.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

SW wrote:Nice compromise, Zack! Thanks again for all your hard work in maintaining this board -- and trying to keep everyone happy!

Now maybe we can get the P.R.E. thread back for Don... :twisted:
Ditto :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

railroadfan wrote: have been receiving a lot of feedback from those who were tied of this: "Oh look, there's a new post in the off subject area, I wonder if it's something cool"...they click on off subject, and see it's a word posted to the add a word game. Then they'll click "mark all threads as read."
Log in again later that day, same scenario, over and over. Some said they just ignore the whole "off subject chit chat" area because of this.
Thank you Zack, your an officer & a gentleman! I have nothing against those threads/posts, in fact I encourage them, you did the right thing, it was just that you'd go to that category & it was the same threads, just updated with 1 word or phrase for the most part! Keep up the great work!
Fred

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

PRAISE GOD!
Bottom text.

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Bout time you put those complaints from the meet in action... lol
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I know a lot of members don't know what the Super Long Threads Forum is, so I'm bumping this so newer members can see. I didn't know about these until I got bored and decided to look at some of the old threads in this section. just follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread, and you can enjoy the irrelevant world of SUPER LONG THREADS.......some have in excess of 300 pages......LOL
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Um...I cant see the super long threads forum...any particular reason? :(
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Um...I cant see the super long threads forum...any particular reason? :(
Go to the user control panel, select the groups tab, hit SuperLongThreads, select "join", then confirm. You will then be able to see them.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Bumping this thread up for visibility - this is how you can add yourself to the SuperLongThreads or Paper Railroads forums on this site. No one is excluded :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com