Cool sounds from Amtrak 350 + GT heritage unit on CN L507 - Royal Oak 1/9/23

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Cool sounds from Amtrak 350 + GT heritage unit on CN L507 - Royal Oak 1/9/23

Unread post by David Collins »

https://youtu.be/Rx9yApnYM64?si=cfW1LMZTofsKpea4

After a doctors appointment yesterday that was nearby, I decided to make a run to the tracks and downtown Royal Oak just to see what I could get. This turned out to be a very smart decision on my end. As I managed to catch Amtrak 350 and CN L507 with the Grand Trunk heritage unit up front.

(0:00)

Amtrak 350 is coming into town with the normal consist, 4 venture cars and a horizon café/business class car. An engine on the rear too, the horn however sounded AMAZING bouncing off the buildings in downtown Royal Oak, as someone put it on Facebook, acoustic alchemy!

(1:30)

Amtrak 350 departs Royal Oak, note how the rear unit was shut down.

(2:18)

Around 2pm, I got word that L507 was leaving Flat Rock with good ‘ol 8952 (GTW heritage unit) up front. I opted to stay and move to Lincoln Avenue for the catch. L507 spent at most an hour switching around Moterm, then left for points north. It was great to finally catch the most handsome looking SD70M-2 (as my girlfriend puts it) leading in daylight.

507 was short in terms of manifest but pretty big in terms of intermodal that day.

That’s all for now…stay tuned!
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Re: Cool sounds from Amtrak 350 + GT heritage unit on CN L507 - Royal Oak 1/9/23

Unread post by amessmann »

Regarding 8952, it seems to float around our area primarily, in fact, I am surprised how often I see it.
Does it ever go west out to say, the Vancouver area? I imagine it does but how often? How long does it say out there?