Two trips to Illinois Aug/Sept 2023

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
SimRacin14
Railroadfan...fan

Two trips to Illinois Aug/Sept 2023

Unread post by SimRacin14 »

I made two trips over to the Effingham, Illinois area in the past month to try and catch Illinois Central SD70s in operation on Canadian National.

My first trip was August 7th/8th.

First train of the trip was on CSX, M684 crossing the diamond in Effingham with a rough looking UP leader.
ImageCSX M684, Effingham,IL 8/7/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
Another CSX eastbound followed that'd been working in Effingham, though my photos of it were not optimal.

After getting a hotel room and stopping to eat, I checked the Amtrak status maps and found that northbound 392 would be due into Effingham at 5:54 local time, which was a half hour out. I went north of town to Sigel, and didn't have to wait long for 392 to come blasting through.
ImageAmtrak 392, Sigel,IL 8/7/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
I went back to the hotel, and thought about maybe going to see southbound Amtrak 393, which was supposed to be in Effingham at 7:47. Discovering the tracks were a mile down a side road from the hotel, I went down to catch them as they came into town, almost right at sunset.
ImageAmtrak 393, Effingham,IL 8/7/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

After leaving the hotel I drove south, somewhat close to the CN line(maybe a quarter mile between us due to buildings) until I saw an opening where I could see their yard. A pair of Illinois Central SD70 "Death Stars" were sitting in the yard along with some other power, I was half tempted to use the drone but didn't. I looped around the building to see if there was a better location to shoot, but by the time I came back, they'd moved. Guessing they might go north I went to a crossing at the north end of the yard and waited for a bit. Another CN standard cab was working the yard, but the IC units sat for a long while with a headlight on. I soon found out why they were waiting, another northbound, CN train M33571 was approaching, and was my first train of the day.
ImageCN M33571, Effingham,IL 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

Shortly after, the train with the IC units started moving. This was A40791, leaving Effingham.
ImageCN A40791, Effingham,IL 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
After getting the shot here, I decided I'd go north to try to get ahead of them. Using I70 briefly, the train was already ahead of me as I got on U.S. 45. A slow driver didn't help matters, and it took me six miles before I finally decided to pass them, just north of Sigel. (Of course they turned not long after, go figure). I managed to get ahead of A407 but found out they were slowing down, M33571 had to stop and flag a crossing up ahead in Neoga. Deciding not to sit long in Neoga, I went to a crossing south of town just as A407 started to move north again.
ImageCN A40791, Neoga,IL 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
Fifth out on A407 was Chicago South Shore #2000, the first time I'd ever seen a CSS unit in person.
ImageChicago South Shore 2000, Neoga, IL 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
After scouting roads that stayed trackside for a mile or so north of Neoga, I went back into town and made a quick stop at the local gas station. At this point the signal in town lit up yellow for a southbound, so I moved south to find a crossing to get a picture. I missed northbound Amtrak 390 in the process, unaware they were coming. Amtrak status maps hadn't shown me anything when I checked it earlier. After finding a crossing I liked, I waited for A408 to show.
ImageCN A40891, Sigel,IL 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
I followed A408 south, determined to get a few more shots. Taking the interstate to avoid Effingham's traffic completely(though I'd nearly caught up to the head end of A408 by the time we reached the north end of town, 8 miles of chasing), I wanted to shoot at one of the small towns I'd driven through the day before. I got to Farina just as a northbound CN train blasted through town. Two or three minutes later and I could've managed a decent shot of that one too. After waiting and waiting, and listening to a train cross a defect detector on the nearby Bluford Sub, I finally heard the detector a mile north of Farina go off.
ImageCN A40891, Farina,IL 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
I wanted a third shot if possible of A408, and thought Centralia might be good. However I wasn't 100% sure on where I should get it, and seeing detour signs on I-57, I decided to swing off at the Odin/Sandoval exit. I'd been to Odin about 5 or 6 years ago one morning to see Amtrak go through, but hadn't come in the way I did this time. I managed to cross over the CN tracks just as A408 was a mile north of town. I snagged a photo of it as it passed, with cars towards the rear going over what was once the B&O from Cincinnati to St. Louis.
ImageCN A40891, Odin,IL 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
Driving down to Centralia, I pulled in and decided to look around. Amtrak's schedule hanging on the sign was a bit misleading. It said the southbound Saluki would be in at 12:16, which was ten minutes from the time I looked at the timetable. After waiting a bit, and no train, I checked the Amtrak status maps, and the arrival time has apparently changed from 1216 to 1244. So after waiting a bit more, 391 finally showed.
ImageAmtrak 391, Centralia,IL 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
Half an hour behind 391 was CN train A432, with a pair of CN GEs.
ImageCN A43291, Centralia,IL 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
BNSF local YCEI101 was my last train in Centralia, running with a freshly painted GP60.
ImageBNSF YCEI101, Centralia,IL 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
I followed Norfolk Southern's Southern East District east towards Indiana, missing 224 as I passed through Wayne City. Nothing else seemed close until I got to Princeton. A couple of NS trains were sitting in the yard, but I heard CSX train R591 heading south, so I decided to head that way, as it would put me on I-64 and a quicker way towards home. Getting near Evansville, I could see the skies had opened up with rain a mile or two down the road, so I made a right off US 41 when I could onto a side road. It crossed the tracks, but not a very photo-worthy spot. Going north, I got back into sunlight and found a road that paralleled a field with the CSX right-of-way out across it. R591 was my final train for the day.
ImageCSX R591, St. James, IN 8/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

SimRacin14
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Two trips to Illinois Aug/Sept 2023

Unread post by SimRacin14 »

With three days off consecutively this week (due to holiday), I decided to make another trip over to Illinois to try to see some more old Illinois Central SD70s.

I spent Thursday riding mostly, following the Evansville & Western briefly before checking out CN's Bluford Sub and UP's Mount Vernon Sub. No trains on any of the three, so I kept going towards Effingham. I stopped in Edgewood, Illinois and managed my only train of Thursday, a northbound off the UP.
ImageCN L598, Edgewood,IL 9/7/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

Waking up Friday morning in Effingham, I left the hotel and drove down to the yard. I noticed two IC units sitting and drove down by the yard and sent up the drone. A pair of IC SD70s were on train A40791, getting ready to leave. A third unit was sitting on another track by itself.
ImageCN A40791 Effingham,IL 9/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
ImageCN A40791, Effingham, IL 9/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

I drove north of Effingham to find a spot to wait for A407. The fog was quite intense, so I tried to find a spot where there was at least a bit of clearing. A southbound was lined into Effingham and A407 would leave afterwards. The same UP pair I saw the day before were also on the southbound train, symboled M399 I believe.
ImageCN M399, Effingham,IL 9/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
Visibility was diminished a bit before A407 showed. I walked across the crossing to swap lenses, as I was walking back over I saw a headlight through the fog about a mile in the distance, meaning I cut it close!
ImageCN A40791, Effingham,IL 9/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
I drove back into Effingham, where the fog wasn't an issue. IC 1038 had started working the yard so I tried to find a location to see it. A wye sits along the yard on the eastern side, with a track running across U.S. 45. When I got there, 1038 was just around a corner of a building. Deciding to wait, I was rewarded as the train ended up using the wye to turn the power and the train consist.
ImageCN R930, Effingham,IL 9/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
I knew the first Amtrak train of the day would be along shortly, so I kept moving south. I stopped at Watson and waited about 15 minutes before 390 came.
ImageAmtrak 390, Watson,IL 9/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
Knowing that A40891 would be south with another set of 70s for power, I moved onto Edgewood and waited for nearly an hour before the train came. Apparently they had to work the yard in Effingham in addition to waiting on Amtrak to clear. The clouds were not in my favor when the train arrived.
ImageCN A40891, Edgewood,IL 9/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
I hopped on I57 and drove south for about 30 miles. A spot at Junction City had my curiosity thanks to Google Street View, but I was less impressed in person. So I went on to Centralia, and caught A40891 again, coming into town.
ImageCN A40891, Centralia,IL 9/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr
After seeing Amtrak 391 go south at Irvington, and getting a less-than-satisfactory shot due to clouds, I shot BNSF's Centralia local working in Wamac before heading home.
ImageBNSF YCEI101, Wamac,Illinois 9/8/2023 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Two trips to Illinois Aug/Sept 2023

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for posting your trip, SimRacin. I enjoyed both the pictures and reporting.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...