0/10, Would NOT Recommend: 2 Trains in 4 Hours at Franklin Park, Illinois

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

0/10, Would NOT Recommend: 2 Trains in 4 Hours at Franklin Park, Illinois

Unread post by David Collins »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKuD8fnDxUE

Title kinda speaks for itself, I've never had good luck here, but my family's house was nearby so I decided stop by for a few hours before I had dinner with them, and oh boy, did I regret it... People kinda overhype this place just because railstream has a camera there in my opinion.
Attachments
2022-09-04_12-01-38 (1).jpg

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 0/10, Would NOT Recommend: 2 Trains in 4 Hours at Franklin Park, Illinois

Unread post by Typhoon »

It looks like there was a good size MOW gang working. That probably had something to do with the lack of traffic.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Who in their right mind would overhype Franklin Park.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

It’s about timing.. as pointed out in your comment section you went on a Sunday. There are less metras on Sunday, and there can be less trains like locals etc. we got 5 trains in 90 mins yesterday before moving onto a different spot. I’ll say I don’t pick Franklin park but if I’m passing through I’ll check it out. The UPW and BNSF are the go to spots for me.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Ypsi wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:51 pm
It’s about timing.. as pointed out in your comment section you went on a Sunday. There are less metras on Sunday, and there can be less trains like locals etc. we got 5 trains in 90 mins yesterday before moving onto a different spot. I’ll say I don’t pick Franklin park but if I’m passing through I’ll check it out. The UPW and BNSF are the go to spots for me.
That is a good point, but normally freights are in and out of Bensenville during that time span from what I understood.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

I have not been to Franklin Park in about 15 years, but back in the day it was definitely a good spot.

The CP still had plenty of SOO power & even a few MILW units. The Metras usually had the F40Cs and then you add the WC and the IHB.

Also, the relatively good access to the engine terminals at Bennsenville, Schiller Park & Norpaul made that whole area worth the trip.

That said, even back then, the middle of Sunday afternoon could be pretty dead.

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

I disagree, Frankling Park can be a good spot during the week. Watch the morning rush, and then watch the freights come in after that. If you have a car, B-17 at the west end of Bensenville usually is busier after the morning rush.
The dispatcher is cool.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I remember back in May of 2011 i attempted a 24 hour period there after about the 13th hour i threw in the towel not because it wasn't busy i don't have the OS in front of me but remember it was like 30 trains at that point not including Metra i just got tired of being there for some reason and not because lack of trains but there was a decent amount of CN action on the north-south through there but since then CN has diverted most traffic down the EJ&E.