L'anse 2/25/2021

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

L'anse 2/25/2021

Unread post by KVERBERK »

I don't get out railfanning much these days but managed a quick trip down to L'anse to catch the CN coming into town. Here are a few clips taken on my phone.
https://youtu.be/EPTS005qWj8
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: L'anse 2/25/2021

Unread post by DaveO »

5937 is GTW, no ex about it.
Anything CN has that is sub-lettered belongs to that railroad. Plus the ones that are still in their original owner paint.
Most interesting are the engines that have/had CN sub-lettering.

The various heritage units need to have some kind of lettering to indicate the owning railroad. The CN heritage units have the round decal on the front except 7601 is sub-lettered.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for the video KVERBECK. Are the box cars for the ceiling tile plant in L'Anse?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Yes the box cars I have been told have inbound "product" for the ceiling tile plant in L'anse. Funny I thought they would have been for out bound loads...
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I also thought they would be for outbound loads but I also would have thought they'd use 60' hi cubes so I am wrong on both accounts :oops:
KVERBERK wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:46 pm
Yes the box cars I have been told have inbound "product" for the ceiling tile plant in L'anse. Funny I thought they would have been for out bound loads...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BOHICA
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BOHICA »

The boxcars are empty and used to supplement train braking on the Lanse Hill. There is a certain rule for braking that some days requires extra cars and setting retainers on the hill. This was one of those trains, since the lead SD60 is the only unit with Dynamic brakes they grabbed these idlers that usually stay at the Yard in Ishpeming. Boxcars for Celotex or Certainteed are high cube FLOX or TBOX cars when they do get them.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

BOHICA wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:13 pm
The boxcars are empty and used to supplement train braking on the Lanse Hill. There is a certain rule for braking that some days requires extra cars and setting retainers on the hill. This was one of those trains, since the lead SD60 is the only unit with Dynamic brakes they grabbed these idlers that usually stay at the Yard in Ishpeming. Boxcars for Celotex or Certainteed are high cube FLOX or TBOX cars when they do get them.
Thanks for clarifying. That infomation was told to me by a fellow railfan, so I wasn't 100% sure it was valid. but maybe they were refering to the 60 footers. Any way that's interesting.

It was cool to watch them come down the hill on this day as the train was Stretched out and the brakes were getting hot. When the wheels went through deep snow it resulted in a swirl of steam around the car. After they got to the bottom of the hill we did see the conductor releasing retainers on a few of the box cars. Thanks!
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan