Plymouth 10/2/2020

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Plymouth 10/2/2020

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I had the chance to spend a bit of time at the beginning and end of the day around Plymouth. It's been a while since I've spent much time here after several years in the 2002-2011 era of having it as a fairly regular haunt. I've only been there once since all of the new signals were installed, and that time was just a quick pass through. The whistle-every-five-minutes rule no longer seems to apply post CP take-away, recession and pandemic, but there were still enough green signals to give us a few good photos. Plymouth offers some great fall colors - they're just starting to pop out and will probably be at peak around the middle of the month.

First up, I located a northbound grain train tied down at Lilley Road south of the diamond, behind CSXT 979 and 992. No crew in sight, but within minutes a series of high greens lit up northbound on the main with a straight shot across the diamond. I headed north to Middle River, where the first of the sugar maples were just starting to show. No scanner so I didn't catch the symbol, but it turned out to be a northbound western CPOX coal drag heading the the Kern/Weadock plant, behind BNSF power.
Northbound coal behind BNSF power at Middle River.
Northbound coal behind BNSF power at Middle River.
CPOX hopper cars crossing over the "Doughnut" C&O bridge above E.N. Hines Drive/5 Mile Road at Middle River.
CPOX hopper cars crossing over the "Doughnut" C&O bridge above E.N. Hines Drive/5 Mile Road at Middle River.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Plymouth 10/2/2020

With all red signals for the time being the day took me elsewhere till mid afternoon. In the meantime, the grain train, V944, was recrewed and turned west at the diamond, heading to Webberville.

When returning mid-afternoon, it was worth spending some time exploring the greater Plymouth area, from Lilley Road to Middle River and from Haggerty west to the intermediate signal at Napier. The fall colors at Napier aren't out yet but will be a nice shade of yellow-gold in a couple weeks. We found the cars in the Beck Siding that D738 had set off the day before that D708 may one day pick up. The classic PM cantilever lives on at Beck Road, for now, as the farthest east set of searchlights now on the C&O Detroit-Grand Rapids mainline.

Meanwhile, back at the diamond, the clouds rolled in, but a northbound was soon lined east. Before long, a GEVO horn sounded to the south and a massive Q508 appeared, heading for Rougemere. CSXT 5293 and 871 for power on this train. Doublestacks up front, a cut of general mixed freight in the middle, including a well preserved Conrail CoilSHIELD-2 coil car, and then a cut of what had to be over 100 cars for AK Steel, including coils in gons, empty flatcars, and dozens of empty slab cars. There had to be over 200 cars total. It was enjoyable to give the train a slow rollby, examining and discussing the cars as they passed.
Q508 passing yellow color along Theodore Street with the new signals at Main St. in the background.
Q508 passing yellow color along Theodore Street with the new signals at Main St. in the background.
21 years later, Conrail can still be found from time to time. This CoilSHIELD-2 is in remarkably intact shape.
21 years later, Conrail can still be found from time to time. This CoilSHIELD-2 is in remarkably intact shape.
Before long, we heard another GEVO horn and a pair of big CSX GE's brought a very short cut of freight (4 cars) around the NE wye track into North Yard. With the cars setoff, the crew needed to wye the power. We settled ourselves at the Starkweather crossing in Old Village and got a shot of the conductor riding 3071 passing the signal, WAS Plymouth? The relay box called it "North Yard B."
CSXT 3071 rolls east around the NE Wye.
CSXT 3071 rolls east around the NE Wye.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

The power set crossed over at Hines Park (more good color here in the next couple weeks), and then took a slow clear around the SE wye heading toward Wayne. The sun split the cloud at this moment for some stunning photos of the power passing the former C&O Railway Freight House. With the recent loss to fire of the Grand Ledge freight house, the Plymouth building is now one of the last two former PM Freight Houses left in Michigan. Unfortunately, the Plymouth building looks unoccupied at this moment.
20201002 CSX 3295 Starkweather Street Plymouth.jpg
20201002 C&O Freighthouse Plymouth.jpg
With the road power out of the way, we saw CSXT 2750 at a distance retrieve a boxcar from the PCA warehouse west of the diamond, then bring another boxcar back west (to spot?) via the SW wye. We patronized the ice cream place in the former passenger depot and made faces at the patrons of Stella's Trackside (former Station 885) while a restricting indication appeared at Hines Park. As twilight settled upon us, GP40-3 6522 came around the SE wye from Wayne, with 5 coil cars and a boxcar in tow. Is this D738? I can't keep track of all the local symbols which serve Plymouth now. It crossed over to leave the cars at Haggerty Yard.
20201002 CSX 6522 Plymouth.jpg
That was the end of the day. Not a busy time, but very pleasant to just sit and watch some trains pass by.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for posting GP30M4216. Seems like you caught a good amount of trains for Plymouth.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

I enjoyed your report. I always enjoy railfanning Plymouth even in these times of not many trains. I also like that you appreciate the slow moving train, giving you time to examine and discuss. Nice report
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan