Colorado ghosts - Tennessee Pass

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Colorado ghosts - Tennessee Pass

Unread post by SW »

Was out in Colorado last week for some much needed vacation time. Finally figured out how to upload pictures successfully so here goes with my Colorado trip report #1. Will also have a report on Colorado Midland and the South Park line (Denver, South Park and Pacific) in the next few days.

Got a few pictures at several points of UP's mostly-dormant former D&RGW Tennessee Pass line. Started at the eastern end, where it is still active, at Canon City.

The Royal Gorge train runs between Canon (pronounced Canyon) City and Parkdale, 12 miles west. Rock and Rail provides common-carrier service on the line between Pueblo and Parkdale.
http://www.rockandrail.com/

Here's the Royal Gorge train, backing into the station after the morning run--no, I didn't ride it this time; I did 4 years ago...

West of Parkdale were miles of cuts of empty coal hoppers.

Salida is where the Monarch branch headed west (line abandoned when the mine quit in the early 80's), and was a busy narrow gauge terminal at one time, with lines heading west over Marshall Pass toward Gunnison and south toward Alamosa. The Tennessee Pass line turns toward the north at this point.

The track appears to be in good shape at all points, although it is jointed rail and I would expect UP to install welded rail if the line is ever reactivated. I did notice a codeline pole completely engulfed by sagebrush near Buena Vista.

One place I considered camping was right at Tennessee Pass, where there is a Forest Service campground. I opted to stay near Leadville instead. But on my way to Frisco, I came to the Pass and got a couple of pictures. The south portal didn't come out too well, but the north portal looked decent:

I hadn't traveled the section of US 24 between Leadville and Minturn (and I-70) and was surprised by the beauty. The railroad runs along the Eagle River and the highway is mostly high above the river. Sorry for the bright spot at the top of the photo - was late in the day and I didn't have many options for the shot.
Owosso Steve

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Colorado ghosts - Tennessee Pass

Unread post by Big Frank »

Nice shots i will have to check these spots out as Im going to Colorado for the first time in OCT....
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Nice shots Steve, looks like you had a great time with all the hiking you did. Haven't been out there in a long time, have extended family out there in Denver and C.Springs. Need to get back out there, beautiful state.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

:shock:

Steve, I bout darn had my heart stop. Excellent photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Hiking and railfanning, including fossil hunting. It's like you died and went to heaven SW :) 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

nssd70
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70 »

I'm glad I railfanned the line back in 1997. Some beautiful scenery along Tennessee Pass. I need to get some more video uploaded to YouTube.

Doug