New Ties along the Lake State Railroad in Holly

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

New Ties along the Lake State Railroad in Holly

Unread post by David Lang »

Early this week, Lake State dropped lots and lots ties from downtown Holly, North through the Grange Hall Road Crossing. I do not know how far North of Grange Hall Road or how far South of Holly the new ties extend, maybe someone else knows.

On the way to church on Sunday April 21st, the new ties were not there, but when driving home from work on Monday April 15th, the new ties had appeared.

Looks like a pretty big tie replacement project coming soon.

I'll post again when I notice this work starting, but its great to see the investment Lake State is making to their physical infrastructure.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Ties along the Lake State Railroad in Holly

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

Although the traffic levels here are nothing like they used to be (20+ trains a day during my time), it's nice to see that LSRC is maintaining the track!

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

From what I have seen from Lake State, they are about as first class as you can get in railroading. I had my doubts when they first began, but really have proved to be a winner. New track, new customers, good service, a great paint scheme, cannot ask for much more. The only sad issue was the end of the Alcos. Really loved those old girls.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

joeyuboats wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 pm
From what I have seen from Lake State, they are about as first class as you can get in railroading. I had my doubts when they first began, but really have proved to be a winner. New track, new customers, good service, a great paint scheme, cannot ask for much more. The only sad issue was the end of the Alcos. Really loved those old girls.
You can’t really compare Jim George’s Lake State (1992-2013) to the current Lake State (2014-present). The former actively tried to run off business, while the latter aggressively seeks it out. Really about the only thing they have in common is the name!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Yes, you are correct--- wonder about the difference in the RR if Rickoff&Co were in charge from day one.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

joeyuboats wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 pm
From what I have seen from Lake State, they are about as first class as you can get in railroading.
First class operation but from what I've heard, working for them is anything but.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Now, why does that not surprise me? Retired now about 4 years. Had many driving jobs-- some good,some bad, always had an eye and ear open in case I decided to make a change. It seems that nowadays companies expect you to jump through hoops for them, but do the least they can for employees. Oh. well. .