Amtrak issues

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak issues

Unread post by chapmaja »

Worked a track meet at Jackson HS today. 3 trains. 2 NS locals EB and then WB Amtrak about 7:45. The Amtrak appear normal length, but had power on both ends, which is unusual. Also, no EB Amtrak which normally meets the WB in Chelsea.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak issues

Unread post by twropr »

The westbound Amtrak would have been 355, about OT.
The next Amtrak EB was 354, OT at 10:28 pm. 355 turns from 350 at Pontiac, so being double-ended simplifies the process.
Andy

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

twropr wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:11 pm
The westbound Amtrak would have been 355, about OT.
The next Amtrak EB was 354, OT at 10:28 pm. 355 turns from 350 at Pontiac, so being double-ended simplifies the process.
Andy

Normally the schedule in the afternoon is as follows

355 WB Leaves Jackson at 7:35 pm (This was the train I saw)
352 EB Arrives Jackson 6:52 pm (This train was not present)

These two trains, when running on time or nearly on time will meet in Chelsea.

The question I am asking is where was 352, which should have been through Jackson before the WB came through?

Also, in the last couple years of sitting trackside, often seeing these two trains, I can count once or twice in that time in which I have seen the train operate with power on each end. This is not a normal process for Amtrak, as it used to be with the CAB cars on one end.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

352 was late that day....it happens .....

As for the power being on both ends, that happens occasionally as well, especially if 350's engine had some type of issue on it's way to Pontiac that day....

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

About 10-12 years go when I was riding frequently it was normal for all of the Michigan trains to have power at each end.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

Going by the videos posted, the Bluewater always runs with power on both ends. Not sure why the Pontiac to Chicago trains have a different arrangement.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Jetlink wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:25 pm
About 10-12 years go when I was riding frequently it was normal for all of the Michigan trains to have power at each end.
That was when they were running the old equipment. Amtrak doesn't have enough of the new power to run power on both ends on these trains.

The Amtrak trains in Michigan run with IDTX (Illinois Department of Transportation) locomotive power. There are 33 of the SC44 units. These trains run on the 6 Wolverine trains, the Pere Marquete, the Blue Water, in Michigan, plus the state sponsored trains in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Missouri.

I don't know if the SC44 units are compatible with the NPCU's Amtrak used to use on the Wolverine trains in the past, which was common when Amtrak had "power" on both ends.

The Blue Water trains may run with power on both ends due to the logistics of turning the power in Port Huron, where there really isn't an easy way to go so due the traffic levels on the CN mainline and lack of easy access to the wye on CSX

The Pere Marquette can be easily turned at Sunnyside and the Wolvering Trains can be easily turned at Pontiac (the Holly sub isn't so busy as to prevent this)

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

chapmaja wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:17 am
I don't know if the SC44 units are compatible with the NPCU's Amtrak used to use on the Wolverine trains in the past, which was common when Amtrak had "power" on both ends.
Yes, they are compatible. The reason why they aren’t seen on the Wolverine and the Blue Water anymore is because they are not capable of reaching 110 mph because of their weight, they would not handle a collision well at that speed.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

David Collins wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:01 am
chapmaja wrote:
Yes, they are compatible. The reason why they aren’t seen on the Wolverine and the Blue Water anymore is because they are not capable of reaching 110 mph because of their weight, they would not handle a collision well at that speed.
Thanks

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

chapmaja wrote:
Jetlink wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:25 pm
The Blue Water trains may run with power on both ends due to the logistics of turning the power in Port Huron, where there really isn't an easy way to go so due the traffic levels on the CN mainline and lack of easy access to the wye on CSX
The Blue Water wouldn't use the CSX wye, it would use the CN one at the west end of the yard, tail switch just south of the Griswold Rd. crossing. It's been done before but not easily.