Grand Trunk Western Oddities

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Grand Trunk Western Oddities

Unread post by cfriedri »

I recently purchased and scanned this slide of GTW 6228 and 6425 leading an (assumed) northbound freight in Spring of 1985. The notes on the slide indicate "North of Dundee, MI". Typically I'd assume that to mean on the Flat Rock Subdivision but the vibe doesn't seem quite right for that and it has me wondering if the GTW ever had reason to venture north of Diann on the AA. In the slide, the right of way doesn't seem to be the double track wide ex-DT&I that I would expect and is still sporting jointed rail (thought the Flat Rock Subdivision had welded rail by 1985 but what do I know). Definitely feels more like it's on the AA to me but I'd like to hear the opinions of others in the forum. Any thoughts?
RailroadFan.jpg
Connor

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Grand Trunk Western Oddities

Unread post by Steve B »

cfriedri wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:25 pm
I recently purchased and scanned this slide of GTW 6228 and 6425 leading an (assumed) northbound freight in Spring of 1985. The notes on the slide indicate "North of Dundee, MI". Typically I'd assume that to mean on the Flat Rock Subdivision but the vibe doesn't seem quite right for that and it has me wondering if the GTW ever had reason to venture north of Diann on the AA. In the slide, the right of way doesn't seem to be the double track wide ex-DT&I that I would expect and is still sporting jointed rail (thought the Flat Rock Subdivision had welded rail by 1985 but what do I know). Definitely feels more like it's on the AA to me but I'd like to hear the opinions of others in the forum. Any thoughts?
RailroadFan.jpg
The wires on the right-- if that's a railroad pole line it's not the AA, their wires were long gone (at least out in open country) by 1985. Ballast doesn't look right for AA either, back then there was still a lot of brown slag & non-gray gravel visible on most of the AA & TSBY.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I think the photo might have been taken at Nieman road looking SW. The pole line would have been in the right place (some poles are extant) and the tree lines look similar.

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cfriedri »

Thanks for the thoughts - having spent a few hours looking around last night in conjunction with what has been said, I'm back on the Flat Rock Sub boat.
Connor

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

If it is helpful, the code line pole line along the AA in Michigan up to Diann seems to be along the east side of the tracks. The pole line along the ex DT&I Flat Rock Sub from Diann up to Flat Rock was to the north of the tracks.

My “Shortlines” photo album offers a number of photos of AA and IORY trains in this vicinity from the 2006-2011 time frame and might be helpful for review: https://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbna ... age-1.html