New siding-business in Traverse City???

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New siding-business in Traverse City???

Unread post by MiddleMI »

MQT1223 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:41 pm
All this siding will be for is a transload that is taking some of the business away from Amerhart in Williamsburg. Apparently some former Amerhart guys are trying to stick it to them and get their product unloaded here instead of buying it from the competition.
And this is precisely what I was talking about. Just unconstituted, unserious curmudgeonly quips for their own sake.

Be well; be blessed; whatever. lol

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MQT1223 wrote:
All this siding will be for is a transload that is taking some of the business away from Amerhart in Williamsburg. Apparently some former Amerhart guys are trying to stick it to them and get their product unloaded here instead of buying it from the competition.
That makes no sense- Amerhart doesn't receive containers for conversation into other uses.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

NO CONTAINERS ARE INVOLVED, THE BUSINESS NEAR THE NEW SIDING IS COMPLETELY UNRELATED WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE NOT GETTING. IT'S A FREAKING LUMBER TRANSLOAD, NEW COMPANY COMPRISED OF FORMER AMERHART PEOPLE AS MQT1223 SAID
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 pm
NO CONTAINERS ARE INVOLVED, THE BUSINESS NEAR THE NEW SIDING IS COMPLETELY UNRELATED WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE NOT GETTING. IT'S A FREAKING LUMBER TRANSLOAD, NEW COMPANY COMPRISED OF FORMER AMERHART PEOPLE AS MQT1223 SAID
But it's not- are we talking the same siding??? This is for Box Pop- https://boxpop.com/company. Owned by Paul Britten. Nothing to do with lumber. Literally asked them today. Feel free to PM me, SD80MAC. I've heard of a couple projects in TC area rail related, so this may be another projects.

Also, Amerhart is going on 2 month's without a load.

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

I seen the blue prints from MDOT, there going to pay a large portion of the siding and GLC is going to try and take out one of the 90lb switches that is not being used by the Good Will and move it down on the west end of the new siding to make it a run-around track. I dont know what the hell SD-80 is smoking but it sure is some good mind altering crap!!! Amerhart can barely stay busy itself. Why the hell would someone go into the lumber business with this economy!!!

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

GP-35 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:12 am
I seen the blue prints from MDOT, there going to pay a large portion of the siding and GLC is going to try and take out one of the 90lb switches that is not being used by the Good Will and move it down on the west end of the new siding to make it a run-around track. I dont know what the hell SD-80 is smoking but it sure is some good mind altering crap!!! Amerhart can barely stay busy itself. Why the hell would someone go into the lumber business with this economy!!!
Where did you see these blue prints are they available to the public and if they are could you post a link. Where are you getting your information from as far as who is footing the bill for the new siding again could you cite your source or post a link to this information. As far as the economy goes they are putting in a new siding for a company that just built a new facility so the economy can’t be that bad. Claims that are not backed up by any documentation and post that are in all caps is this Truth Social or RailRoadFan.com?
The fact that they’re putting in a new siding and Box Pop just built a new facility is good news for the Traverse City area GLC and railfans.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

GP-35 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:12 am
If everyone takes another look at the siding excavation photos posted early on the thread, you'll understand just from looking at the grounds that is not a siding for unloading center beams. There is NO access to one side of a center beam (it runs right along the GLC/MDOT right of way). I do not doubt that those former Amerhart guys are doing their thing, but it's NOT at this location. This IS for BoxPops. For those who doubt- PLEASE pull into their current facility the next drive north, and ask them. They are SUPER friendly and are proud of their growth.

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

Long story short,a new siding is being built. It may or may not see some sort of rail activity on it. Will the salt transload ever happen? Speaking of the Economy, I'm loosing my job May 31 2024 because it's cheaper to manufacture in India. I'm the company truck driver,maybe I should look into the Railroad industry instead for a carrier change lol.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

TC Man wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
That makes no sense- Amerhart doesn't receive containers for conversation into other uses.
This has nothing to do with containers... why this cannot be drilled into people is beyond me. Look at that spur, no effing way you can unload shipping containers here. And lets ask ourselves the real question of the day; who in their right mind would use TRAVERSE CITY mind you as an intermodal terminal? Detroit has an established terminal, Grand Rapids is closer to Chicago... the demand for shipping these is definitely not to the point where TRAVERSE CITY is a viable option, especially when they don't even have access to the water. There isn't even container ships on the GREAT LAKES. Take them things to Toledo, Detroit, Chicago... not TRAVERSE CITY.

My sources and SD80MAC's sources are spot on, so these other folks on here can keep on drinking the intermodal kool-aid all they want.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

nobody mentioned intermodal terminal until you did :roll:
look at the pictures. they have unloaded them from trucks and double-stacked them at that.
read the website about what they use the containers for.
based on what has been stated and the companies business activities, it's not unreasonable that they will receive containers by rail.
there are containers that move on non-intermodal trains.
that was a good rant but entirely misplaced.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

I spoke to a friend who works for GLC out of Cadillac. He said the siding will be used to bring in empty containers for the company located there, probably on regular flat cars.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:08 pm
I spoke to a friend who works for GLC out of Cadillac. He said the siding will be used to bring in empty containers for the company located there, probably on regular flat cars.
YES! You are a saint! I don't know why MQT1223 keeps mentioning intermodal. We never said that- in fact I keep referring to the company website so you can see what they transform containers into. And MQT1223, look at the siding base and tell me how in the heck they'd unload a center beam? And why can't you or SD80MAC understand that I've literally asked Britten what THEIR new siding will be used for, and they said the same thing? Along with GP-35 who seems to be connected with GLC also. Guys, no need to get passed off, sometimes we are not all correct. SD80MAC and MQT1223, maybe indeed there is another siding planned somewhere for lumber transload. How about the old TC Gray Iron property spur that's right next to TC Milworks new facility under construction?

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

I thought I would sit back and wait until someone provided additional information directly from a reputable source, and it would seem that a GLC employee would be in the know relating to this most recent development.

The bottom line here (and I think we can all agree) is that additional rail service to Traverse City is both a great thing to see from a railfan perspective, and helps to secure the future for a rail segment that currently sees light traffic. Of course, the more rail served customers there are, the more justification you have to keep the line. Let's hope this leads to additional rail served potential in the Traverse City area!

I will also add that the very idea of using empty containers and transforming them into portable restrooms, small showrooms and stores, etc. is a really great idea. I think there is very real potential for this to really take off, especially if they can provide these at a reasonable price. If this new business continues to grow, I would think they could be a very good and steady customer for the GLC well into the future.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

David Lang wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:04 pm
I thought I would sit back and wait until someone provided additional information directly from a reputable source, and it would seem that a GLC employee would be in the know relating to this most recent development.

The bottom line here (and I think we can all agree) is that additional rail service to Traverse City is both a great thing to see from a railfan perspective, and helps to secure the future for a rail segment that currently sees light traffic. Of course, the more rail served customers there are, the more justification you have to keep the line. Let's hope this leads to additional rail served potential in the Traverse City area!

I will also add that the very idea of using empty containers and transforming them into portable restrooms, small showrooms and stores, etc. is a really great idea. I think there is very real potential for this to really take off, especially if they can provide these at a reasonable price. If this new business continues to grow, I would think they could be a very good and steady customer for the GLC well into the future.
David, good feedback, but just to clarify- this is not a new business- it's a major expansion due to its continuous success and demand for its products.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Thanks for the clarification TC Man.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

TC Man wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:23 pm
C&O Dispatcher wrote:
YES! You are a saint! I don't know why MQT1223 keeps mentioning intermodal. We never said that- in fact I keep referring to the company website so you can see what they transform containers into. And MQT1223, look at the siding base and tell me how in the heck they'd unload a center beam? And why can't you or SD80MAC understand that I've literally asked Britten what THEIR new siding will be used for, and they said the same thing? Along with GP-35 who seems to be connected with GLC also. Guys, no need to get passed off, sometimes we are not all correct. SD80MAC and MQT1223, maybe indeed there is another siding planned somewhere for lumber transload. How about the old TC Gray Iron property spur that's right next to TC Milworks new facility under construction?
Intermodal is generally comprised of shipping containers. We don’t call them “shipping container trains”.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:41 pm
TC Man wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:23 pm
C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Intermodal is generally comprised of shipping containers. We don’t call them “shipping container trains”.
Intermodal defined: "involving two or more different modes of transportation in conveying goods.". AGAIN, these are not being used to ship anything- empty to be converted into other uses. Why can't you grasp this?? It's OKAY to be wrong- we all are wrong here and there. 1223- check your PM.

jggilmore7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jggilmore7 »

MQT1223 wrote: There isn't even container ships on the GREAT LAKES. Take them things to Toledo, Detroit, Chicago... not TRAVERSE CITY.

After reading all these posts, I marvel at all the misinformation floating around and how long it took to get to the real truth. I'm an outside observer, and obviously as a railfan seeing any new business is good news, and thanks to those who posted the facts about what is happening up there. I do remember as a kid in the 70s going to places like Petosky, TC and Mackinaw when there still was some semblance of railroad activity, including the various carferries. But the erroneous ideas people have never cease to amaze me, though I know how the internet is and works. And people who fancy themselves as experts. Here's a few more things to keep in mind:

Container shipping exists on the Great Lakes and is expanding, though it will obviously never come to TC. Currently, Duluth and Cleveland are on regular overseas container routes. Do not believe everything you read here.

Some short lines and branches around the country see regular container shipping, usually single level and sometimes even in well cars. The local shortline near me in west Texas occassional sends a 5-pack or two down its rickety 10 mph trackage to the end user. Seeing it in TC would not be unusual. Some folks call it "loose car" intermodal or "loose car" container shipping, as opposed to unit trains.

Repurposing old shipping containers is a growing business, esp. for tiny homes, new offices, etc. One place I worked at in Fort Worth was in a large warehouse that had all the offices in these remade containers. All the office people loved them, as did many clients, since its part of a recycling chain and better for the environment.

JG

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

I try to give good and accredited news to people who like railroads, and I get blasted by sub-standard intelligent people, if only some of you morons would just read, but maybe your not smart enough to in-gage in intelligent conversation. Mr. SD80MAC, like someone already mentioned about the siding, you could'nt tell the difference between a straight siding and one that you could unload center beans on, so you might want to brush up on your track building skills. I hope the guys that left Amerhart dont have you lay out there siding!!!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Man you guys can’t take a joke.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/