MMRR to cease operations in 2025?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: MMRR to cease operations in 2025?

Unread post by AARR »

Will MMRR be able to interchange directly with HESR or will it still have to go to Durand by GLC?
SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:13 pm
The actual Mid Michigan RR is the line from Alma to Paines. MMRR itself is going to be merged into the Huron & Eastern, per the latest G&W plans. The railroad isn't going away, it's just going to be operated as part of the HESR (which it almost is currently anyway). The MMRR crews will have to decide if they want to go to HESR or go to the Grand Rapids Eastern or Michigan Shore.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:51 pm
Who will operate the Yuma Mine?
GP-35 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:21 pm
Michigan Shores is lossing the sand traffic, the sand will come from Yuma on the GLC. There has been crews working at the plant in Yuma for the last month and GLC is doing some minor track work cense the line has sat dormant for the last five years. The Yuma plant is waiting for parts to come from over-seas before they can get rolling again.
Screenshot 2024-02-29 132203.jpg

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

AARR wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:52 pm
Will MMRR be able to interchange directly with HESR or will it still have to go to Durand by GLC?
SD80MAC wrote:
The actual Mid Michigan RR is the line from Alma to Paines. MMRR itself is going to be merged into the Huron & Eastern, per the latest G&W plans. The railroad isn't going away, it's just going to be operated as part of the HESR (which it almost is currently anyway). The MMRR crews will have to decide if they want to go to HESR or go to the Grand Rapids Eastern or Michigan Shore.
Doesn't MMRR have trackage rights into Saginaw from Paines anyway to access the HESR?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

chapmaja wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:20 pm
AARR wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:52 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
Doesn't MMRR have trackage rights into Saginaw from Paines anyway to access the HESR?
AFAIK they only do to swap engines. Otherwise all cars to MMRR were interchanged from LSRC or GLC

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

HESR solidifying their position as Michigan's most active shortline.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

How busy are the original HESR lines east of Saginaw? The few trains I see out there are usually less than 20 cars.
NoviRailfan wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:42 pm
HESR solidifying their position as Michigan's most active shortline.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

I can't speak to the number of trains on that part of their system. But by reported car loads, they are tops amongst the shortlines in Michigan with well over 30,000 carloads per year.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

NoviRailfan wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:55 pm
I can't speak to the number of trains on that part of their system. But by reported car loads, they are tops amongst the shortlines in Michigan with well over 30,000 carloads per year.
Biggest midget

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think that is an old number that included cars from Dow and Karn-Weadoak.

It would be interesting to know the carloads HESR handles from its lines in the thumb (Sebewaing Sub, Bad Axe Sub, Kinde Branch, Ruth Branch, Vassar Lines and Port Huron Sub).
NoviRailfan wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:55 pm

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:39 pm
Fair point - But even if you back out all the coal traffic and 50% of the "chemicals and plastic" traffic, their numbers are still above any of the other reporting shortlines. Also, they serve a number of the largest elevators in the state so they likely are moving at least the same volume of traffic since the last report.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Guessing this means that trains will be originating out of the Bay City/Saginaw area then? No need to keep a geep in the house at Alma. Wonder if the Alma interchange will also be a thing of the past minus unit trains. Are there even any active customers in the Alma area?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I have "guesstimated" That HESR handles 15,000 cars a year from its non-CMGN lines in the Michigan thumb. That equals about 60 cars per weekday. Yet, except for an occasional unit grain train, I seldom see anything longer than 20 cars. I'd like to know if I'm even in the ballpark with my guess and if I am where are all the cars going?
NoviRailfan wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:02 pm
AARR wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:39 pm
Fair point - But even if you back out all the coal traffic and 50% of the "chemicals and plastic" traffic, their numbers are still above any of the other reporting shortlines. Also, they serve a number of the largest elevators in the state so they likely are moving at least the same volume of traffic since the last report.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Well lets start with the agri traffic on the line and well start with ethanol plant in Caro and the sugar plant there too. tttleshe shuttles of ddg and ethanol should keep them very busy. The elevator at Colling is inactive at this time. Over on the Denmark Branch I can imagine that both of the star of the west facilities in both Reese and Richville see quite a bit of activity. I have no idea how busy Labudde group is which is also in richville that handles vegetable products in covered hoppers
Exit stage left

redside20

MQT1223 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:37 pm
Guessing this means that trains will be originating out of the Bay City/Saginaw area then? No need to keep a geep in the house at Alma. Wonder if the Alma interchange will also be a thing of the past minus unit trains. Are there even any active customers in the Alma area?
Maybe it'll give the HESR a back door route onto the GLC other than the durand connection to get in on some of that Zeeland farms traffic to take back to the thumb or to csx via lake states. All there is in alma currently is michigan paving and materials
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

redside20 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:46 am
Well lets start with the agri traffic on the line and well start with ethanol plant in Caro and the sugar plant there too. tttleshe shuttles of ddg and ethanol should keep them very busy. The elevator at Colling is inactive at this time. Over on the Denmark Branch I can imagine that both of the star of the west facilities in both Reese and Richville see quite a bit of activity. I have no idea how busy Labudde group is which is also in richville that handles vegetable products in covered hoppers
The ethanol plant is busy with inbound corn and outbound DDG & ethanol.

The sugar beet plant next door does not seem that busy. Maybe once a week service.

Labudde I am told gets two to three cars a week.

Star of the West has multiple plants around the thumb that get service but I don't know how busy they are.

redside20

Star of the West has multiple plants around the thumb that get service buI don't know how busy they are.

The one in Gera seems pretty busy and they have a transload for Frankenmuth customers. Lately the MAC Elevators in Marlette and Brown City having been shipping unit grainers out like crazy for csx along with Gera on the tiny Port Huron sub.THe three customers in Sebaiwing keep the railroad pretty busy.
Exit stage left

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

AARR wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:56 pm
redside20 wrote:

The sugar beet plant next door does not seem that busy. Maybe once a week service.

Star of the West has multiple plants around the thumb that get service but I don't know how busy they are.
I have been going to Michigan Sugar in Croswell a lot in the last couple months and i pass through Brown City each time and there are five huge piles of grain stored on the ground in BC i have never seen that much ever on the ground there those silos are bursting with grain so where gonna have grain trains for awhile to clean that out im sure.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:56 pm
redside20 wrote:

ADM has (or had) some bean elevators in the thumb that were rail served. One was at Kinde. I have forgotten the other locations. Does anyone know if they still ship by rail?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:42 am
ADM has (or had) some bean elevators in the thumb that were rail served. One was at Kinde. I have forgotten the other locations. Does anyone know if they still ship by rail?
ADM has large elevators in Arthur and Ubly and smaller ones in Fairgrove and Kinde. AFAIK they all still ship by rail.

redside20

Over on the Midland Sub for HESR, there also appears to be in Auburn in which an ADM facility along with a Ittner bean and the andersons the latter of which seems to be only active customer at this time.The dow plant is at the end of the line for them. I hear Michigan Sugar and helena chemical keep the railroad busy on that end of the line towards port huron in croswell. Along with Croswell and Caro, what about the sugar plants in Sebewaing, Carrollton, and Bay City?
Exit stage left