NS Rawsonville

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

NS Rawsonville

Unread post by chapmaja »

The other night I witnessed what I assume was B71 working near Arkona Rd east of Milan. The train had 1 box car, 1 covered hopper and an uncountable number of container flats with RGSU blue containers on it.

Looking at Google maps tonight, it appears the blue containers are being loaded at either the WATCO Port and Transfer or NS Transload location near the Rawsonville Ford Plant. Which company is handling these cars, and what is the contents of these cars. From what I have found online, these containers appear to be trash containers. If they are trash, where are they being loaded and where is the destination location.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Rawsonville

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RejXzAKY7436VKKK8?g_st=ic

Watco.

They are inbound trash cans for a landfill maybe in Belleville? Idk

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:21 am
https://maps.app.goo.gl/RejXzAKY7436VKKK8?g_st=ic

Watco.

They are inbound trash cans for a landfill maybe in Belleville? Idk
Looking through the State of Michigan Landfill Records, I can see two likely destinations for the trash coming into Rawsonville. The most likely destination appears to be the much maligned Arbor Hills Landfill, which has a remaining capacity calculated at only 6 years. This site, per the records, gets roughly 25% of its trash from Canada. The other likely destination would be Carleton Farms Landfill, which gets over 50% of its trash from Canada, and another roughly 15% from Massachusetts. Looking at the two locations on Google Maps, I don't see the containers present at either location. I think Carleton Farms infrastructure would be better suited to serving trash containers.

Interestingly, Arbor Hills actually had rail access previously, with a spur disconnected off the main from CSX.

I can't find any ownership information on the containers, but there is photographic evidence of the containers in Massachusetts, meaning I suspect they are going to Republic's Carleton Farms Landfill.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

chapmaja wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:27 pm
I can't find any ownership information on the containers, but there is photographic evidence of the containers in Massachusetts, meaning I suspect they are going to Republic's Carleton Farms Landfill.
reporting mark is rsgu not rgsu
not that it will help identify the user but the owner is:
https://rsgu.eu/en/

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

A friend who hauled those containers for a few months told me that they go to the Republic facility in Carleton.
-Fritz Milhaupt

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

fmilhaupt wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:27 am
A friend who hauled those containers for a few months told me that they go to the Republic facility in Carleton.
Thank you. Does he have any idea where they come from? My guess is Massachusetts.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

chapmaja wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:23 am
fmilhaupt wrote:
Thank you. Does he have any idea where they come from? My guess is Massachusetts.
WHAT DOES MASSACHUSETTS SMELL LIKE

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:40 am
chapmaja wrote:
fmilhaupt wrote:
Boston

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It’s my understanding that trash cars are sprayed with a deodorizer/disinfectant. So at least in theory they shouldn’t smell too bad.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

LansingRailFan wrote:
chapmaja wrote:
fmilhaupt wrote:
Don't know, but I do know one thing. They take driving in construction zones much more serious in the Boston area than we do here. Driving around Boston every construction zone I went through had at least 1 state police car with lights on in the construction zone. Several cars were also pulled over in those zones.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

chapmaja wrote:
fmilhaupt wrote:
My friend confirms it comes from Massachusetts.
-Fritz Milhaupt

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

chapmaja wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:33 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
chapmaja wrote:

Don't know, but I do know one thing. They take driving in construction zones much more serious in the Boston area than we do here. Driving around Boston every construction zone I went through had at least 1 state police car with lights on in the construction zone. Several cars were also pulled over in those zones.
FYI, many states in the Northeast require a police officer at most road construction sites. I believe the construction company pays for this. I know that a lot of officers work these as a lucrative side gig, generally they don't do much except be present, flagmen from the construction company do the actual traffic direction! 😁

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

The trash is trucked to Will Carleton landfill. We did a job next to the dump and the trucks went by all day long.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e