Updated Milan, MI discussion

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Updated Milan, MI discussion

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

So I wanna go out to Milan again I wanna know what time is best on a Saturday because I went out to Milan on a Saturday I was utterly disappointed I only saw 3 trains in like 6-7 hours 2 on the NS 1 NS and 1 CP and the other one being on the Ann Arbor it sucked so I would like to knkw what the best time to go on a Saturday is please

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Updated Milan, MI discussion

Unread post by ~Z~ »

2 NS trains and an Ann Arbor train at Milan in 6 hours seems fairly normal traffic counts. If that was an utterly disappointing train count, when you have 6-7 hours to watch, I'd suggest heading 30 minutes south and watch NS at Holland OH at Rail Park.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Delray
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Delray »

~Z~ wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:23 pm
2 NS trains and an Ann Arbor train at Milan in 6 hours seems fairly normal traffic counts. If that was an utterly disappointing train count, when you have 6-7 hours to watch, I'd suggest heading 30 minutes south and watch NS at Holland OH at Rail Park.
Or head to Romulus and catch NS, CP & CSX

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:23 pm
Thats normal? I have railfanned the Ex Wabash in other spots and saw like 4 trains in 1 hour

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:50 pm
Thats normal? I have railfanned the Ex Wabash in other spots and saw like 4 trains in 1 hour
Yes, that's normal. Per quite a few other posts over the years here and other websites, average response is: "13-15 for a common busy day" on the NS detroit to Butler route.
2 NS trains in a 6 hour daytime block is maybe a tiny bit slow, but pretty normal. Believe they run more at night than daytime. 4 trains per hour * 24 hours would be 96 trains per day at that rate... I'd say 2 trains per 6 hours on NS is closer to average than 24 trains per 6 hours.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

What I have done before is stay at the Microtel Inn there at Milan my wife and I stayed down by the diamonds on Saturday most of the day it was hit and miss maybe 5 trains after noon until just after dark on Sunday morning it wasn't bad I remember 4 trains in about 4 hours before we went home including the eastbound Roadrailer and a long CP westbound I wasn't lucky enough to get any movements on the AA so you got lucky there. I like Milan to me its got that old time railroad charm.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

NS Ex-Wabash

So I have plans to go back out to the Ex Wabash and preferably I would like to go at the busiest time. I have heard night time is busiest on the Ex-Wabsh, but not sure if that's true. If anyone knows the best time on the Wabash let me know please. Oh and also I would go to Milan, so then what time does the Ann Arbor run?

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Literally just go to any place on the NS Chicago line through Ohio and you won't be dissapointed. Milan sucks nowadays. Ann Arbor runs at night usually and NS runs a majority of their traffic at night. Just go to Ohio. Literally Toledo is the biggest hub closest to Michigan. Everything changes once you hit Ohio on I 75.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

I agree with the statement above

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

CSXBOY wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:17 am
Literally just go to any place on the NS Chicago line through Ohio and you won't be dissapointed. Milan sucks nowadays. Ann Arbor runs at night usually and NS runs a majority of their traffic at night. Just go to Ohio. Literally Toledo is the biggest hub closest to Michigan. Everything changes once you hit Ohio on I 75.
Thats the whole point... I wanna get away from the Chicago Line I go there way to often and I would go to Battle Creek but the stuff their is terrible I have never had a good experience and Battle Creek.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Battle Creek is way busier than Milan

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Terms of Michigan railroading, Battle Creek is probably if not the hottest spot for trains in Michigan. Around 20-24 CN trains a day, 8 Amtrak trains and maybe an NS local. Battle Creek is much busier than Milan. The wabash through Milan only sees 12 trains a day maybe less than that. 7-8 NS trains and 3-5 CPKC trains in a 24 hour period. Like I said go to Ohio or Indiana and you won't be dissapointed. If you're from Battle Creek, I highly suggest you go to Waterloo IN. Safe Amtrak station with incredible night lighting and tons of high speed trains. 50-60 NS trains a day and maybe the 5 CPKC trains.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

CSXBOY wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:14 pm
Terms of Michigan railroading, Battle Creek is probably if not the hottest spot for trains in Michigan. Around 20-24 CN trains a day, 8 Amtrak trains and maybe an NS local. Battle Creek is much busier than Milan. The wabash through Milan only sees 12 trains a day maybe less than that. 7-8 NS trains and 3-5 CPKC trains in a 24 hour period. Like I said go to Ohio or Indiana and you won't be dissapointed. If you're from Battle Creek, I highly suggest you go to Waterloo IN. Safe Amtrak station with incredible night lighting and tons of high speed trains. 50-60 NS trains a day and maybe the 5 CPKC trains.

Dude I am not from Battle Creek, yes I have good train action in Battle Creek but the people around were really sketchy. Waterloo is my go to spot for railfanning, but like I said I wanna go somewhere other than the Chicago Line. This is traffic in Milan
NS 120
NS 121
NS 181
NS 188
NS 189
NS 255
NS 256
NS B70
NS B73
NS AA Interchange ×2
AA ×2
CPKC 131
CPKC 132
CPKC 133
CPKC 137
CPKC 230
CPKC 231
CPKC 734

If you go on a weekday a typical day in Milan would see give or take 20 trains

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSXBOY wrote:
Delray is the only place that can rival/surpass BC. I've asked it before and it always puzzles me why Battle Creek is so overlooked for railfanning. Three different carriers and a large yard along with the shared trackage makes for some pretty good action if you ask me.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 pm
CSXBOY wrote:

Dude I am not from Battle Creek, yes I have good train action in Battle Creek but the people around were really sketchy. Waterloo is my go to spot for railfanning, but like I said I wanna go somewhere other than the Chicago Line. This is traffic in Milan
NS 120
NS 121
NS 181
NS 188
NS 189
NS 255
NS 256
NS B70
NS B73
NS AA Interchange ×2
AA ×2
CPKC 131
CPKC 132
CPKC 133
CPKC 137
CPKC 230
CPKC 231
CPKC 734

Battle Creek is a flash in the pan if you think that is "sketchy". Most of the best train watching places you are going to find if you want volume and multiple railroads are going to be in areas that may or may not have some interesting locals or a tad run down. Be vigilant, mind your P's and Q's and you'll be fine. If you aren't comfortable with that then don't go alone. I've sat in Battle Creek for hours and never once been approached or harassed by anybody. Battle Creek might not be pretty anymore but it's definitely a good place to check, probably the best West Michigan has to offer.

If you want a better option then your only place to go is further south. The CSX Garrett and Willard Subs aren't that much further south then the NS Chicago Line, and places such as Deshler, Vickers and Fostoria will have high volumes but otherwise you aren't going to get many better options. That's what you get in a state with water surrounding most of it.

My Go-To is the CN South Bend Sub at Schoolcraft. Might not have the volume but gives me plenty of time to move around and get shots in various places, and I stick to the stretch mostly between Climax and Cassopolis if I want to mix it up. I think you will find in time that quality over quantity is the way to go, at least in my book it is.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:36 pm
NickThatRailfan wrote:
CSXBOY wrote:

NS 120
NS 121
NS 181
NS 188
NS 189
NS 255
NS 256
NS B70
NS B73
NS AA Interchange ×2
AA ×2
CPKC 131
CPKC 132
CPKC 133
CPKC 137
CPKC 230
CPKC 231
CPKC 734

Battle Creek is a flash in the pan if you think that is "sketchy". Most of the best train watching places you are going to find if you want volume and multiple railroads are going to be in areas that may or may not have some interesting locals or a tad run down. Be vigilant, mind your P's and Q's and you'll be fine. If you aren't comfortable with that then don't go alone. I've sat in Battle Creek for hours and never once been approached or harassed by anybody. Battle Creek might not be pretty anymore but it's definitely a good place to check, probably the best West Michigan has to offer.

If you want a better option then your only place to go is further south. The CSX Garrett and Willard Subs aren't that much further south then the NS Chicago Line, and places such as Deshler, Vickers and Fostoria will have high volumes but otherwise you aren't going to get many better options. That's what you get in a state with water surrounding most of it.

My Go-To is the CN South Bend Sub at Schoolcraft. Might not have the volume but gives me plenty of time to move around and get shots in various places, and I stick to the stretch mostly between Climax and Cassopolis if I want to mix it up. I think you will find in time that quality over quantity is the way to go, at least in my book it is.

I have been on the Garrett Sub a few times I have usually had good luck other than when I camped over night at Deshler we only saw around 30 trains in 20 hours

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
NS 120
NS 121
NS 181
NS 188
NS 189
NS 255
NS 256
NS B70
NS B73
NS AA Interchange ×2
AA ×2
CPKC 131
CPKC 132
CPKC 133
CPKC 137
CPKC 230
CPKC 231
CPKC 734

More like 15 according to your list. CPKC 734 is as-needed and there is no such thing as "NS AA Interchange" let alone two of them. When an interchange does happen at Milan-which if IIRC is not any everyday thing-it would probably be handled by B70

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

NickThatRailfan wrote:

Dude I am not from Battle Creek, yes I have good train action in Battle Creek but the people around were really sketchy.
Right, because every inch of Battle Creek that has railroad tracks through it is filled with sketchy people. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I think there is a regular amount of AA work in the Milan Yard (meaning daily) when the AA runs through Milan. I dont think I have ever seen them not stop to work something in Milan. I dont think there is that much interchange anymore. There used to be a significant interchange when the AA was still pulling loads from Saline, but that dried up. Most interchange with NS happens in Toledo.
Erroneous Monk wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:48 am
NickThatRailfan wrote:
NS 120
NS 121
NS 181
NS 188
NS 189
NS 255
NS 256
NS B70
NS B73
NS AA Interchange ×2
AA ×2
CPKC 131
CPKC 132
CPKC 133
CPKC 137
CPKC 230
CPKC 231
CPKC 734

More like 15 according to your list. CPKC 734 is as-needed and there is no such thing as "NS AA Interchange" let alone two of them. When an interchange does happen at Milan-which if IIRC is not any everyday thing-it would probably be handled by B70

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:16 pm
[quote=MQT1223 post_id=536213 time=<a href="tel:1705282588">1705282588</a> user_id=9153]
[quote=NickThatRailfan post_id=536116 time=<a href="tel:1705191574">1705191574</a> user_id=10795]
[quote=CSXBOY post_id=536111 time=<a href="tel:1705187676">1705187676</a> user_id=9447]

NS 120
NS 121
NS 181
NS 188
NS 189
NS 255
NS 256
NS B70
NS B73
NS AA Interchange ×2
AA ×2
CPKC 131
CPKC 132
CPKC 133
CPKC 137
CPKC 230
CPKC 231
CPKC 734

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have been on the Garrett Sub a few times I have usually had good luck other than when I camped over night at Deshler we only saw around 30 trains in 20 hours
[/quote]
I second this. Deshler is the greatest place to go in our area. A lot of trains are decently lit as many westbounds run in the evening and many eastbounds run in the morning. The small town atmosphere is amazing and they still got the old CPLS up. Around 50-60 trains a day through here. Good chunk of foreign power too through Deshler too compared to many places these days.