Buick city property

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Buick city property

Unread post by chapmaja »

I was reading an article about the Buick City Property redevelopment. I assume this has the potential to use a decent amount of rail service correct? How much of the current property still has the rails in. It sounds like GM basically left everything ground level and below in place.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Buick city property

Unread post by AARR »

Is this where LSRC already has their vehicle transload yard?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I think it is. The location I think has been split into multiple sections.

American Cast Iron Pipe built theier Great Lakers operations on part of the old Buick City Property in 2014. Lear supposedly has part of the property for a seat plant as well.

The majority of the property it appears is still owned by the RACER trust, with Ashley Captial, the company redeveloping the property apparentyl buying it in chunks after the the clean up is done on sections of the property. Looks like a ton of tax money has been designated for various aspects of the propety.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is this also where LSRC located its Cross-Dock terminal? I think they are getting coil wire uniquely loaded in boxcars. They figured out a way to maximize the gross weight load over what a flat car or gondola can carry.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

chapmaja wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:55 pm
Lear supposedly has part of the property for a seat plant as well.
There's plenty of news coverage from 5 years ago when it opened.
https://www.wkar.org/business/2018-08-1 ... buick-city

It's where the administration building was, on the south side of Hamilton Ave.

As far as determining how much RR track is left, you can use Google Earth or the satellite view on Google Maps.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

AARR wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:10 pm
Is this where LSRC already has their vehicle transload yard?
LSRC's auto loading tracks terminate roughly 300 feet north of where Buick City loaded trilevels. You can see in current aerial views part of those old tracks, set in concrete.