WMI, Hamilton NW and LSRC recieve “railroad enhancement program grants”

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

WMI, Hamilton NW and LSRC recieve “railroad enhancement program grants”

Unread post by David Collins »

https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... tid=Zxz2cZ

Pretty cool, would be interesting to see what kind of projects they’ll be starting with the money.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

MDOT awarding state railroad enhancement grants

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

A bunch of railroads, mostly short lines, will benefit. Your tax dollars at work, kids!

First Michigan Railroad Enhancement Program Grants Announced

Grants totaling $19 million awarded to 12 freight rail projects across the state will leverage approximately $48 million in other investment in the rail system

LANSING, Mich. – Today, Governor Gretchen Whitmer and the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) announced the first round of recipients for the new 2023 Michigan Rail Enhancement Grant Program (M-REP) that will invest $19 million towards freight rail projects across Michigan. The twelve projects that were competitively selected, make strategic investments in freight rail corridors and facilities to improve rail safety, operational efficiency, accessibility, capacity, and condition.

“With approximately 3,600 miles of rail corridors in Michigan operated by 29 freight railroads, freight rail keeps our diverse economy rolling,” said Governor Whitmer. “From farmers depending on rail to haul their crops to market to auto manufacturers shipping finished products across North America, rail creates jobs and serves communities across our state. The 2023 Michigan Rail Enhancement Grant will invest $19 million across Michigan, ensure our rail system is safe, efficient, and meets Michigan’s economic and transportation needs. Let’s continue working together to keep Michigan’s rail economy on track.”

M-REP grants reimburse up to 70 percent of project costs associated with railroad track, bridges, grade crossings, rail scales to weigh freight cars on mainline corridors and at rail yards, intermodal facilities, and transload facilities. Movable equipment or freight rail rolling stock may be considered if plans are submitted that provide adequate controls for Michigan-specific use.

“This is a fantastic opportunity for growth in West Michigan and the agriculture industry,” said Sen. Roger Victory, R-Georgetown Township. “Making these types of smart investments in our rail systems will unlock new levels of production and improve logistics across the board.”

“We are excited to participate in the first round of the Michigan Rail Enhancement Grant Program awards, said John Rickooff, chief executive officer and president of the Lake State Railway Co. “Lake State Railway looks forward to working with MDOT to complete these projects.”

“We are honored to be selected to partner with MDOT as they work to improve, expand, and rehabilitate freight rail corridors throughout Michigan, said Mike Hnatiuk, director of Marketing for the West Michigan Railroad Co. and the Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co. “Once completed, these projects will deliver an immediate benefit to local communities and the region. These infrastructure enhancement projects will significantly minimize the amount of time railroad crossings are blocked, as well as provide public access for companies to utilize rail, who currently do not have access to freight rail services. The new public access site is expected to take as many as 8,000-10,000 long haul trucks off Michigan roads each year, which will reduce congestion and road deterioration on Michigan highways, as well as eliminate unnecessary truck CO2 emissions. The Michigan Rail Enhancement Grant Program is a perfect example of public private partnerships that deliver true lasting benefits to Michigan communities.”

In 2022, funds were dedicated for rail-related economic development projects and rail freight system preservation projects. The grants will leverage approximately $48 million in other investment in the rail system.

M-REP Fiscal Year 2023 Projects
MDOT-MI-REP Grants 2023.jpg

JBaxter
Railroadfan...fan

Re: WMI, Hamilton NW and LSRC recieve “railroad enhancement program grants”

Unread post by JBaxter »

The article breaks down what companies got what funds by location and lists the project description next to it (update: after the combination of the two posts the table showing that stuff is now in the post above). It will still be interesting to see how these projects eventually turn out

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I wonder if the Hamilton Northwestern transload will be located on the north side of the Rabbit River trestle in Hamilton?

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

GDLK slacking again...

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dowagiac Train Dude »

I wonder where the new siding is going to be located for the West Michigan Railroad in Hartford. Does anyone have any idea where that will be?

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Ben Higdon wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:05 pm
I wonder if the Hamilton Northwestern transload will be located on the north side of the Rabbit River trestle in Hamilton?
I was thinking it could be next to the Fillmore Rd. crossing.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Dowagiac Train Dude wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:45 pm
I wonder where the new siding is going to be located for the West Michigan Railroad in Hartford. Does anyone have any idea where that will be?
Not sure where, but either a runaround track or to start rebuilding east towards Paw Paw

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Jim_c wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:30 am
Ben Higdon wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:05 pm
I was thinking it could be next to the Fillmore Rd. crossing.
That’s great to hear the Hamilton Northwestern received this grant money for tie replacement and the transload yard!

I would think Fillmore would be the logical place to build a transload yard. They would probably have to acquire some additional property which may be what part of the grant is for.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

kd_1014 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:41 am
Not sure where, but either a runaround track or to start rebuilding east towards Paw Paw
They already got a large Crissy grant last year to rebuild going east.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

12Bridge wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:00 pm
kd_1014 wrote:
What would the purpose of rebuilding this line to Paw Paw be? I am looking at the maps and just don't see any potential customers that would jusify a rebuild of the line. What am I missing.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

chapmaja wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:47 pm
12Bridge wrote:
kd_1014 wrote:

What would the purpose of rebuilding this line to Paw Paw be? I am looking at the maps and just don't see any potential customers that would jusify a rebuild of the line. What am I missing.
I believe that the Crissy grant was to rebuild the 11 miles or something like from Hartford to Lawrence. The only reason that they would do that is that they have a possible customer or two that are in Lawrence. I have no idea what businesses would need rail in Lawrence and I don’t believe they will be going all the way back to Paw Paw.
Last edited by Dowagiac Train Dude on Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Y’all worried about some siding in Hartford and I’m staring at $1.8M on CN in Oakland County for track rehab and checking out booth rentals for Top Golf so I can golf and watch the darn train go by awww shucks naw

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:02 pm
chapmaja wrote:
12Bridge wrote:

I believe that the Crissy grant was to rebuild the 11 miles or something like from Hartford to Lawton. The only reason that they would do that is that they have a possible customer or two that are in Lawton. I have no idea what businesses would need rail in Lawton and I don’t believe they will be going all the way back to Paw Paw.
Do you mean Lawrence? Lawton already has rail. It looks like Southwest Michigan Feed may have used rail at one time.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Jim_c wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:55 pm
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:02 pm
chapmaja wrote:

I believe that the Crissy grant was to rebuild the 11 miles or something like from Hartford to Lawton. The only reason that they would do that is that they have a possible customer or two that are in Lawton. I have no idea what businesses would need rail in Lawton and I don’t believe they will be going all the way back to Paw Paw.
Do you mean Lawrence? Lawton already has rail. It looks like Southwest Michigan Feed may have used rail at one time.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I should know better, I drive through Lawton past the Welch’s plant on my way to Decatur to drive by Cargill.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Do we have any sense of what “track rehab and crossing improvements” are planned for CN in Oakland County? Something on the Holly/Amtrak related, or something on a secondary line I wonder…?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:47 pm
Do we have any sense of what “track rehab and crossing improvements” are planned for CN in Oakland County? Something on the Holly/Amtrak related, or something on a secondary line I wonder…?
More then likely to get the line to Lake Orion back in service, as its supposed to be shipping out of the GM plant again in the near future if the rumor mill is to be believed.

On a side note, there were crews working on the wood trestle over the Flat River next to King Milling today in Lowell already. Not sure what they are planning to do but I'm pretty sure this bridge is why no 6 axle locomotives have ever entered Lowell.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

chapmaja wrote:
12Bridge wrote:
kd_1014 wrote:

One thing worth noting is WMI owns the entire grade into Paw Paw. Pioneer only got the track pulled.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

I drove past the transload facility for WMI off of Red Arrow Highway today and noticed that they added a new spur that curves towards Red Arrow and dead ends right before the fence by the road across from the fair grounds. There were a few covered hoppers sitting on the spur today. The spur splits into two different tracks. I wonder if they used some of this grant money for that or did the transload facility use their own money to add that spur?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

I just want them to go to Lake Cora again.