Arlo Steel in Grayling

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
michaelmuha
Railroadfan...fan

Arlo Steel in Grayling

Unread post by michaelmuha »

Arlo Steel has a dedicated track in Grayling which looks quite new, but Arlo is not listed on the Wiki page of LSRC customers. Anyone know what they ship or receive, and what kind of railcars they use?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Arlo Steel in Grayling

Unread post by AARR »

This Alro location doesn’t receive rail service that I know of. The spur was last used 20 or more years ago when Georgia Pacific used that building. Even though Alro has never used the spur (that I know of) they have chosen to keep it for now.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

aerial imagery seems to indicate the crossing is paved over

michaelmuha
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by michaelmuha »

Ah! I do see now that Google maps shows the track paved over - thanks AARR and DaveO!

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

To my knowledge the only ALRO location that uses rail is the Lansing location on JAIL. And even with that location it is on a very limited basis.

The Potterville location has a spur off of the CN Flint Sub, but it has not been used in a very long time and is out of service.

Just because an industry has a rail spur does not necessarily mean they use it.

Fun fact, Alro is named after founders Al & Robert Glick.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:40 am
This Alro location doesn’t receive rail service that I know of. The spur was last used 20 or more years ago when Georgia Pacific used that building. Even though Alro has never used the spur (that I know of) they have chosen to keep it for now.
Keep's the truckers honest. That way if they decide to jack up prices they can threaten the use of rail service and thus it keeps the prices fair.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

NS3322 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:06 pm
To my knowledge the only ALRO location that uses rail is the Lansing location on JAIL. And even with that location it is on a very limited basis.

The Potterville location has a spur off of the CN Flint Sub, but it has not been used in a very long time and is out of service.

Just because an industry has a rail spur does not necessarily mean they use it.

Fun fact, Alro is named after founders Al & Robert Glick.
Lansing gets flat steel from NS and CSX via JAIL