Accident on CSX Market Street bridge.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Accident on CSX Market Street bridge.

Unread post by MikeB89 »

Out watching a local tonight. I believe it was Z291 might have the number wrong.

Sadly as they were crossing the bridge someone jumped in front of them and they did hit the person.

They paged the dispatcher and called out the emergency. The paraphrased words were "we have a suicide, a person jumped in front of the train as we crossed the bridge". Dispatcher, "uhhhhhh okay, give me your mile post and we will get you some help".

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Accident on CSX Market Street bridge.

Unread post by TSS »

I’m not sure whether you saw it or were just nearby, but either way, I’m sorry. The train crews sadly have to deal with this kind of thing all the time, and it’s unfortunate you had to experience it as well.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It was Y297.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 9:18 am
It was Y297.
Thank you. I knew I might have screwed up the number.

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

TSS wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:51 am
I’m not sure whether you saw it or were just nearby, but either way, I’m sorry. The train crews sadly have to deal with this kind of thing all the time, and it’s unfortunate you had to experience it as well.
I didn't see the person hit. I was at the yard waiting for Y297 to comeback to the yard. I did however go to Front Street. I ran into another railfan there. Neither of us seen the person hit.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

People trespass on that bridge so much its not even funny, suicide or not. I'd say CSX should remove the second deck, but that would probably make fatalities more common from either stupidity or jumping.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

MQT1223 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 12:36 pm
People trespass on that bridge so much its not even funny, suicide or not. I'd say CSX should remove the second deck, but that would probably make fatalities more common from either stupidity or jumping.
I also learned that homeless people tend to live on the island attached to the bridge. From what I also learned this isn't an uncommon thing on this bridge.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MikeB89 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:00 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 12:36 pm
I also learned that homeless people tend to live on the island attached to the bridge. From what I also learned this isn't an uncommon thing on this bridge.
Which makes it more horrifying when the strikes occur at slow speed. Not an image I need in my head.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

SawWhere is this bridge located at??

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

joeyuboats wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:56 pm
SawWhere is this bridge located at??
Grand rapids MI.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com