NS Detroit District New Rail and Cross overs

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSX8887
Railroadfan...fan

NS Detroit District New Rail and Cross overs

Unread post by CSX8887 »

Last week i was in romulus by the airport watching planes, i saw lots of new rail and cross overs on the ns Detroit district, is there more traffic coming or track improvements being done Just curious

Have a blessed day or night

- Steve
A railfan that is based in Howell MI

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: NS Detroit District New Rail and Cross overs

Unread post by David Collins »

I hate to bring this theory to the table, but could it because of the CP/KCS merger?

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

David Collins wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:21 pm
I hate to bring this theory to the table, but could it because of the CP/KCS merger?
No, it started last year long before the CP/CN battle over KCS was settled. Some of those grade crossings had gotten really bad. The one I cross frequently at Hannan/Huron River was (and still is on one of the 2 tracks, in process of being repaired right now) awful.

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

CSX8887 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:03 pm
Last week i was in romulus by the airport watching planes, i saw lots of new rail and cross overs on the ns Detroit district, is there more traffic coming or track improvements being done Just curious

Have a blessed day or night

- Steve
From what I've heard and based on the cuts in the road near the tracks, they are going to be re-doing the crossing and getting prepared more CP KCS action. A CP police officer was down in Romulus the last time I and a few other railfans were there. The officer was talking to one of the guys about it and told the rest of us the plans for the crossing to be re-done. And supposedly, (NOT 100% CONFIRMED) they may be closing off the diamond to make it harder for railfans to get close to it or something. Again as I said that part is not 100% confirmed.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I heard from another source that the ex Wabash mainline was due for a substantial maintenance blitz this year, so I might think this is all part of that. State of good repair for an important main line, and all. If they're cutting the pavement at crossings, then I wonder if they're going to lay CWR straight through the crossings instead of installing panels?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

RoyalKingoftheRails wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:28 pm
The officer was talking to one of the guys about it and told the rest of us the plans for the crossing to be re-done. And supposedly, (NOT 100% CONFIRMED) they may be closing off the diamond to make it harder for railfans to get close to it or something. Again as I said that part is not 100% confirmed.
He was talking to me and he said the diamond is completely closed off. Not really relevant in this case, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:51 pm
If they're cutting the pavement at crossings, then I wonder if they're going to lay CWR straight through the crossings instead of installing panels?

That’s exactly what they’re doing. Finally drove over it in daylight hours and there’s a line of CWR on either side of one of the mains waiting to be installed.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Typical reinstallation of rails. I have seen new rails buried in the asphalt on crossing approaches routinely. Using a panel track at a crossing then splicing in the CWR is possible, but it seems much easier to simply lay rail through the crossing.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

justalurker66 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:44 pm
Typical reinstallation of rails. I have seen new rails buried in the asphalt on crossing approaches routinely. Using a panel track at a crossing then splicing in the CWR is possible, but it seems much easier to simply lay rail through the crossing.
The biggest question is tie age under the crossing. Buried ties last a good long time, so it’s very possible if the ties are only 10-15 years old for them just to be run-through with new rail, and probably the anchors and plates too, due to salt wear.

But if you’re not doing a wholesale CWR change, a panel is usually the best bet for getting it done fast.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow