GLC RR

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC RR

Unread post by TC Man »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:01 pm
TC Man wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:01 am
What does the O and C mean?
Specifically which pool the locos are stationed in.

With 383 down, that’s less 4-axles for the Middleton branch. Hypothetically, if they get a block of cars or even a unit train for MAC/Middleton, they won’t have enough 4-axle power to pull the max amount of loads allowed on that line (35). They’ll have to bring something down from up north.

Meanwhile the two diesels that pulled the SRI’s North Pole Express are sitting in Owosso waiting to be leased.
I've seen video of 6 axle locos on the Middleton branch but I'm sure they'd like to avoid that (same for TC). Wonder why they don't seem to have an interest in even very short term leasing of those two lease units on the SRI property? Seems like since they are literally there, not making the owner any money, the owner and GLC could come to a rate agreement to use them until a longer term lease client is found.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:01 pm
Meanwhile the two diesels that pulled the SRI’s North Pole Express are sitting in Owosso waiting to be leased.
Is there any truth to the rumor SRI wants to acquire the GP40WH-2?

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

The SD40-2 that SRI used needs wheels, the owner said they would provide new wheels if GLC would replace them in there shop. In turn GLC could lease the engine for a cheap price. The superintendent of GLC doesn't want to have it cut in on his bonus, that's why!!!

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I can confirm, 385 is operational, it is switching Chilson siding as I speak. 2nd unit was 386.

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

Correct, a new (under warranty) main generator was installed.

KingsleyRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KingsleyRailFan »

How long has 393 been out of service, and what happened to it? I haven’t been paying much attention to the active stock recently, and since 393 usually ends up in Cadillac, it’s weird suddenly not seeing it.
Consistently confused

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

Main generator shorted out, its fried!!!

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

GP-35 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:49 am
Main generator shorted out, its fried!!!
So this was the same issue that 385 had, a main generator failure. How long / costly will this be to repair?

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

TC Man wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:34 pm
Unless someone from GLC specifically says there's a crew and/or power shortage, it's just railfan speculation. There's not enough traffic north of Cadillac to require another crew- TC and Petoskey need service maybe 2-3 times a month. Petoskey stock piles plastic pellet cars, it's not like they need a switch every day (or week for that matter).

I'm not sure why GLC even runs to TC. Lumber can go by truck, as can the scrap for the 3-4 cars that go up there per month between Beacon and Amerhart. Set up a transload in one of the Cadillac yards and kill the TC trackage. It's us taxpayers that are paying to maintain this poorly maintained track for next to no traffic. Look at the waves in the track along Keystone- was nowhere near that bad before the contractor replaced ties- it's only a matter of time for a derailment in the TC area. Last week watching 329 come up on that light, spaghetti-like track made my hair stand up. I don't think GLC is trying to build any business in the TC area. Lots of potential, heck just a nice transload center with a cross dock facility would generate plenty of opportunity. My guess is that if it weren't for the state contract agreement, TC would have been gone long, long ago.
As far as the lumber for Amerhart goes, No, it cannot go by truck (at least not average sized trucks). One of the most frequent loads here in TC are both the TJI's and the beams which those centerbeams are loaded to the hilt with. Those bunks are 59 feet long each- heavy and cumbersome. It takes two fork lifts usually to unload just one of these lifts safely. If you were to utilize a transload, they would have to keep two forklifts there. Forklifts are not cheap and you wouldn't just leave them somewhere off property. MDOT does not like loads to overhang the rear of truck trailers. If you did, you'd need a chase vehicle with warning lights etc. . You can see where I'm getting at. Plus, don't get me started with frost laws with both the lumber and the scrap metal...... Amerhart pays an extra fuel charge for GLC to bring them in the loads. They don't mind as it is a lot cheaper to do so than trying the whole truck/transload thing- it won't work. Plus, as far as regular bunks of let's say -studs, it takes four trucks at least to carry an entire centerbeam load. lastly, as somebody who has kept a sharp eye on these rails for decades, the tracks here now is in far better shape than when the C&O / MN were using them and your load count of 3-4 cars per month is low.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MIGN-Todd wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:34 pm
...load count of 3-4 cars per month is low.
Last I read they were averaging 80-120 per year but that was a few years ago and the numbers might be very different now
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Theglcboy69
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Theglcboy69 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:54 am
Since November 2022, GLC has been using crew-specific symbols to ID trains. The classic OSTN/ONTN/CSTN/CNTN have been done away with by GLC.

Symbols would be OWO-1 for the first crew out of Owosso, CAD-1 for out of cadillac etc

For simple railfanning, it’s still easier to use OSTN etc…

Also sometimes they will run a crew north further past Clare now. We’ve had some Owosso-Cadillac trains recently.

A lot of this has been necessitated by a lack of functioning motive power combined with steady/increasing traffic as well as a lack of crew availability.

PS - no official designations for when an OSTN would go to Middleton or when a CNTN would go to either Petoskey or Traverse City were officially ever used. -MT, -TC etc… did not exist per GLC.
How did you find that out. Because talking to some of their crews at crossings and stuff while they are doing crew changes. They still call then owosso/cadillac south/north turns. Not saying your wrong but it's just weird bc I haven't heard a Crew use it.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Theglcboy69 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:52 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:54 am
Since November 2022, GLC has been using crew-specific symbols to ID trains. The classic OSTN/ONTN/CSTN/CNTN have been done away with by GLC.

Symbols would be OWO-1 for the first crew out of Owosso, CAD-1 for out of cadillac etc

For simple railfanning, it’s still easier to use OSTN etc…

Also sometimes they will run a crew north further past Clare now. We’ve had some Owosso-Cadillac trains recently.

A lot of this has been necessitated by a lack of functioning motive power combined with steady/increasing traffic as well as a lack of crew availability.

PS - no official designations for when an OSTN would go to Middleton or when a CNTN would go to either Petoskey or Traverse City were officially ever used. -MT, -TC etc… did not exist per GLC.
How did you find that out. Because talking to some of their crews at crossings and stuff while they are doing crew changes. They still call then owosso/cadillac south/north turns. Not saying your wrong but it's just weird bc I haven't heard a Crew use it.
you will find that railroaders generally stick with the old names for everything. we have a grain elevator up here that’s changed hands I don’t know how many times, currently owned by “Viterra” but we all still call it Peavy or PV because it was originally a Peavy elevator.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.