Diann Tower Gone?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

Diann Tower Gone?

Unread post by MRC_Andrew »

Have seen some discussion on facebook that old Diann Tower was demolished today. Don't know how accurate the info is. Just FYI.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Diann Tower Gone?

Unread post by Buster Manning »

It's accurate......there were pics posted on FB by a CN employee at the location today of the demo process

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

This archival photos was shared on thefacebook:

This view is looking northeast up the DT&I (now CN/I&O) right of way, with the first story of Diann Tower under construction in the NW quadrant, and the Ann Arbor Railroad mainline just behind the tower. I think we forget in the 21st century that not all railroads were built at the same time and in fact there may be decades between when a first line was built and when a second line arrived making a spot on the map now a junction. I'm not sure if the connection tracks which exist today in the SE and NW quadrants were built immediately once the DT&I line was completed, or if they were constructed sometime later.

There is some good information about the history of this tower and its territory at this link: http://www.michiganrailroads.com/statio ... -dundee-mi. It was a pretty simple interlocking with a simple electric machine. Actually, the photo that also shows the model board shows a connection track in only one quadrant, it appears. Additional historical photos and information about the operation of the tower and the AA/DT&I here: http://dti.railfan.net/Pototype_Images/ ... Diann.html

The tower was pretty gutted by the time it was demolished. It was among the last of the "Ford Type" towers with their trademark blonde brick and tile roofs, with only the Short Cut Bridge tower retaining these features. With Diann now gone, I believe only Delray, Carleton, NS Rouge Bridge, and Short Cut Bridge tower still stand at their original location, although the first two are closed. Have I missed any others?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:39 pm
This archival photos was shared on thefacebook:

This view is looking northeast up the DT&I (now CN/I&O) right of way, with the first story of Diann Tower under construction in the NW quadrant, and the Ann Arbor Railroad mainline just behind the tower. I think we forget in the 21st century that not all railroads were built at the same time and in fact there may be decades between when a first line was built and when a second line arrived making a spot on the map now a junction. I'm not sure if the connection tracks which exist today in the SE and NW quadrants were built immediately once the DT&I line was completed, or if they were constructed sometime later.

There is some good information about the history of this tower and its territory at this link: http://www.michiganrailroads.com/statio ... -dundee-mi. It was a pretty simple interlocking with a simple electric machine. Actually, the photo that also shows the model board shows a connection track in only one quadrant, it appears. Additional historical photos and information about the operation of the tower and the AA/DT&I here: http://dti.railfan.net/Pototype_Images/ ... Diann.html

The tower was pretty gutted by the time it was demolished. It was among the last of the "Ford Type" towers with their trademark blonde brick and tile roofs, with only the Short Cut Bridge tower retaining these features. With Diann now gone, I believe only Delray, Carleton, NS Rouge Bridge, and Short Cut Bridge tower still stand at their original location, although the first two are closed. Have I missed any others?
Holly stands, and is still used for signaling equipment.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Also still standing is the tower at the Soo Locks CN bridge, on the MI side of the border.