Mancelona

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KC
Railroadfan...fan

Mancelona

Unread post by KC »

Great Lakes Central spotted the first car for the new year at Mancelona,
IARX 37261 for East Jordan Plastic, on their northbound trip around 1pm on Tuesday, January 10th, 2023.

Not much activity on the snowtrails this year...
Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Mancelona

Unread post by AARR »

I heard that EJP was transloading from Clare so it is interesting that they would have a car delivered to Mancelona.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

Thats because they have a plant in East Jordan Mi. and Beaverton Mi.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

AARR wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:05 am
I heard that EJP was transloading from Clare so it is interesting that they would have a car delivered to Mancelona.
GP-35 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:28 pm
Thats because they have a plant in East Jordan Mi. and Beaverton Mi.
Thank you
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GAL
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAL »

What is the plant in Beaverton MI?

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

GAL wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:41 pm
What is the plant in Beaverton MI?
https://eastjordanplastics.com/company

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Has that building in Mancelona that the spur is associated with ever gotten cars of their own or has it always been for transload?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The feed mill received rail service back in the MIGN days (Biehls Feeds and later Ellsworth Farmer Exchange) but I don't know if they ever got anything from TSBY. However, TSBY delivered well drilling supplies to that same siding including drilling mud and pipe.
MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:10 pm
Has that building in Mancelona that the spur is associated with ever gotten cars of their own or has it always been for transload?

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:19 pm
The feed mill received rail service back in the MIGN days (Biehls Feeds and later Ellsworth Farmer Exchange) but I don't know if they ever got anything from TSBY. However, TSBY delivered well drilling supplies to that same siding including drilling mud and pipe.
MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:10 pm
I recall box cars spotted at the Ellsworth warehouse on this spur during the TSBY years. I cannot recall when specifically but in the 1989-1994 years. The cars were unloaded from the building side so I don’t know what the lading was.

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

The small building was built in the very early TSBY days and was used as a transload for East Jordan Iron Works, before EJIW bought the Sunfield, MI, location on CSX. I helped build this building. You would think that EJIW would have built a track to their new facility, but I was told that they are at a wait-and-see period.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GP-35 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:28 pm
You would think that EJIW would have built a track to their new facility, but I was told that they are at a wait-and-see period.
I thought they would build along the GLC ROW rather than a mile away :?

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

When EJIW was looking for land they wanted a solid parcel of property, and Ketchen Farms wouldn't sell them any land along GLCs right-of-way. EJIW want the property that paralleled Deadmans Hill Rd. but couldn't make a deal with Ketchen Farms. So the back-up plan was the land at US 131 and M 32. Knowing that there is a wide right-of-way south along US 131 to GLCs tracks. IF you Google earth along US 131 you can plainly see the wide right-of-way where there used to be a divided highway years ago, and plenty of room for a rail spur if needed.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GP-35 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:18 pm
When EJIW was looking for land they wanted a solid parcel of property...
Thank you for the information

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

KC wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:00 pm
Great Lakes Central spotted the first car for the new year at Mancelona,
IARX 37261 for East Jordan Plastic, on their northbound trip around 1pm on Tuesday, January 10th, 2023.

Not much activity on the snowtrails this year...
Kelly
I just wanted to drop a note to Kelly to say hi and thanks for posting this! I enjoy your upper GLC territory photos and realized I don’t find them all that often! I appreciate this update.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP-35 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:18 pm
When EJIW was looking for land they wanted a solid parcel of property, and Ketchen Farms wouldn't sell them any land along GLCs right-of-way. EJIW want the property that paralleled Deadmans Hill Rd. but couldn't make a deal with Ketchen Farms. So the back-up plan was the land at US 131 and M 32. Knowing that there is a wide right-of-way south along US 131 to GLCs tracks. IF you Google earth along US 131 you can plainly see the wide right-of-way where there used to be a divided highway years ago, and plenty of room for a rail spur if needed.
Ironic if the EJIW ever would go back to using rail after they discontinued using it at their original plant; which forced an entire railroad out of business as a direct result of it.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:01 pm

I just wanted to drop a note to Kelly to say hi and thanks for posting this! I enjoy your upper GLC territory photos and realized I don’t find them all that often! I appreciate this update.
You're certainly welcome sir,

and now for an update:
snow trail conditions have improved some and.....
GLC has pulled the IARX 37261 and spotted two more cars, NAHX 581149 and ACF 37294 at Mancelona for unloading on Wednesday the 8th.

"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"